All those vets probably are wrong. Either that or you've misunderstood them. Here is s small blurb from the CDC <added emphasis in blue is mine>:

What is the most common kind of tapeworm dogs and cats get?

The most common tapeworm of dogs and cats in the United States is called Dipylidium caninum (DIE-pih-LID-ee-um K-nine-um). Infection is common and found throughout the world.

How did my pet get the Dipylidium tapeworm?

By swallowing a flea infected with a tapeworm larvae. A dog or cat may swallow a flea while self-grooming. Once the flea is digested inside the dog or cat, the larval tapeworm is free to develop into an adult tapeworm.

The adult tapeworm is made up of many small segments, called proglottids (pro-GLOT-ids), each about the size of a grain of rice; adult tapeworms may measure 4-28 inches in length. As the tapeworm matures inside the intestines, these segments (proglottids) break off and pass into the stool.

Dave Brown