My dear Marshall,

Blackfoot people are NOT "from" Montana. That is where we were placed by the US government. Our language is Algonquin in origin same as Cherokee and are so similar that conversations can be made between the two without difficulty. Blackfoot originated on the East Coast and were probably offshoots of stranded Vikings many eons ago. Light skin, sandy hair and blue eyes are not uncommon even in the so-called Full Bloods. My gggrandmother was Full Blood and her white name was Blanche which means white in French. Over time we migrated westward in pursuit of food, etc. Also because we liked to go our own way and do our own thing and did not blend well with other tribes. We were the "wild ones" Our history does NOT include crossing the Bering Strait and our genetic structure supports that claim- we do NOT have that genetic marker. Our history states clearly that we were already here when the others crossed over. Blanche was supposedly born in Tennessee, but considering the way the BIA kept records I doubt it. It just so happens that the family was visiting when the BIA decided to record her birth. We ( my direct family)were from South Dakota originally but have migrated to many places since then. Most of us wound up in Canada. And yes, most of us have other "blood" as well, doesn't matter- today Indian is Indian the so'called traditional cultures have mostly been blended to fill in the gaps for those that were lost during the generations we were denied access. It only means something if you FEEL that heritage inside and live by the codes. MOST of what is being touted as Indian today is a derivative of either Lakota or Cherokee . Then you have the Hopi who did not lose their Heritage and the Navajo who have recreated all but two of their sacred ceremonies.

zoe

Marshall Dudley wrote:
Blackfoot are from Montana area. I figured you would have Cherokee like me if anything. But I have Apache as well, so I guess that doesn't mean anything, LOL.

Marshall

zoe w wrote:
John lost a good portion of his land when they put the Parkway in. It cuts across the lower part of this mountain, but progress is progress and the Parkway is a beautiful drive thru the Smokies. We have Black Bears and Deer along with Wild Turkeys across the top . They don't bother us at all. Rarely ever even see them, but the tracks are quite visible. My mothers people were Blackfoot, Grampa was our storyteller. I miss him a lot.

zoe