Citric should be fine. Any weak acid will remove the hard water
sediment.

I use pickling vinegar because it is cheap. It does not matter if it is distilled since it is not being consumed. I do avoid the fumes
though, from any vinegar, because they will give me a headache.

Garnet

Dr Chris Steele, ITV's This Morning supporting LDN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVpjsDK0LPA

Dorothy Fitzpatrick wrote:
thank you for the info Garnet, I buy white vinegar from Dri-Pak which I use round the house anyway. But of course here in the UK you cannot get it in anything other than spray bottles (in my experience) this is the proper white vinegar, not the distilled one. I expect I shall have a lot of cleaning to do as our water is really hard here. I was wondering if citric acid would be ok to use because this cleaned my kettle out of all the crud that was in it and left it absolutely sparkling! dee