Using hot water to start actually speeds things up without being detrimental to the finish...the water cools off before temperature can play a role. Anything below about 120 deg F doesn't seem to have too much kinetic energy in it, making particles collide with each other and ions oxidize fast. Of course, at first, there are very few ions or particles TO collide...which is why it goes so slow at first...nothing much there to transport the electricity either.

Ode