Debbie:

To fix the crack you'll need to supplement with Alta real food Silica (3 per
every meal), magnesium, vitamin D3 and calcium.  If your Dad is not on a
good multi vit & mineral, I suggest that, too.  Vitamin C will help to
strengthen the tissues around the vertebrae and the discs.  He should notice
a difference within two - four weeks.  Surgery, in my humble opinion, is
unnecessary - too dangerous for a man of his age.  The recovery time from
surgery might be the rest of his good life. A natural approach to healing
this, I think, would be best.

John