At 07:43 PM 1/25/2010, you wrote:
My mom just called and my poor 80 year old dad has been diagnosed with a cracked vertebrae in his lower back...any suggestions on supplements that may help with the healing? Or is surgery the only answer?

"In the healing process, a bridge of tissue composed largely of protein fibers grows across the ends of the broken bones. Calcium and phosphorus then deposit among these protein fibers to form a new bone. The diet must therefore be high in protein and adequate in calcium and phosphorus. .......Vitamin D intake must be adequate.........Potassium is required for cell formation, bitamin C is necessary for the maintenance and development of bones, and vitamin A helps to increase the rate of bone growth. The diet should be high in calories to provide the energy necessary for new bone cell formaiton."
The list of beneficial nutrients:
Vitamine A
pantothenic acid
vit C
vit D
calcium
magnesium
phosphorus
potassium
protein
silicon
from "Nutrition Almanac, third edition" Lavon J. Dunne, c. 1990. This is my absolute favorite nutrition book, far and away better than newer editions.

My personal thought is if he doesn't eat a lot of protein, a couple of high quality whey protein shakes a day would be a good idea.
sol