In old English

Dr. Kirschner used comfrey in his medical practice to promote the healing of ulcers and wounds. He traces the history of comfrey back to 1568 and W. Turner's Herball which said "of Comfrey Symphytum, the rootes are good if they be broken and dronken for them that spitte blood, and are bursten. The same, layd to, are good to glewe together freshe woundes. They are good to be layd to inflammation..." He then cites Gerard's 1597 Herball, which indicated comfrey for ulcers of the lungs and ulcers of the kidneys, and Parkinson's 1640 Theatrum Botanicum:

"The rootes of Comfrey, taken fresh, beaten small, spread upon leather, and laid upon any place troubled with the gout, doe presently give ease of the paines and applied in the same manner, giveth ease to pained joynts, and profiteth very much for running and moist ulcers, gangrenes, mortifications and the like."

Culpepper says:
'The great Comfrey ("great" to distinguish it from the "Middle Comfrey" - another name for the Bugle) restrains spitting of blood. The root boiled in water or wine and the decoction drank, heals inward hurts, bruises, wounds and ulcers of the lungs, and causes the phlegm that oppresses him to be casily spit forth.... A syrup made there of is very effectual in inward hurts, and the distilled water for the same purpose also, and for outward wounds or sores in the fleshy or sinewy parts of the body, and to abate the fits of agues and to allay the sharpness of humours. A decoction of the leaves is good for those purposes, but not so effectual as the roots. The roots being outwardly applied cure fresh wounds or cuts immediately, being bruised and laid thereto; and is specially good for ruptures and broken bones, so powerful to consolidate and knit together that if they be boiled with dissevered pieces of flesh in a pot, it will join them together again.'

He goes on to describe its curative effect on haemorrhoids and continues:

'The roots of Comfrey taken fresh, beaten small and spread upon leather and laid upon any place troubled with the gout presently gives ease: and applied in the same manner it eases pained joints and tends to heal running ulcers, gangrenes, mortifications, for which it hath by often experience been found helpful.'

Baker (Jewell of Health, 1567) says: 'The water of the Greater Comferie druncke helpeth such as are bursten, and that have broken the bone of the legge.

It is important to meet potential physician objections with a clear, shared understanding of the “comfrey rule”: fresh leaves externally, boiled root decoction internally.

A modern medicinal tincture, employed by homoeopaths, is made from the root with spirits of wine, 10 drops in a tablespoonful of water being administered several times a day.

Comfrey is also beneficial for deeper tissue injuries such as bruises, strains and sprains. It is probably the best herb I know for healing broken bones. For deeper tissue injuries it is best to use comfrey in the form of a poultice.

For broken bones, it is preferable to also use comfrey internally as a tea or tincture. However, the healing of bones is a long process, generally longer than is recommended to use comfrey internally. Fortunately, comfrey can also be used in a homeopathic potency for this purpose, which is completely safe. I recommend taking comfrey tea or tincture three to four times per day and also taking the 200C potency of Symphytum once a day for the first week or two after the fracture occurs. Then stop taking the tea or tincture and switch to the 30C potency of Symphytum taken three to four times per day until the fracture is completely healed. Never begin to use comfrey in any form until the fracture has been set. It will not be possible to use the herb topically when a cast is required. Nevertheless, it will still be beneficial to use an external preparation for about a week after the cast is removed.

Besides broken bones, these externally poulticed leaves and roots are also used for cuts, bruises and sprains."

Comfrey is best used fresh and simmered. Use the sticky paste to make a compress and attach it with an elastic bandage. Use every night. This will speed the healing of the fracture dramatically.

To heal her fractures, every night Cloe would grind several tablespoons of comfrey with a mortar and would bring it to a boil with a few spoons of water. She then would make a paste out of it, spread the paste on a cotton cloth, wrap it around her arm, and put elastic bands or safety pins in to secure it. Even though she had 2 fractures, Cloe decided not to wear a cast but a sling, which is why she could take off the sling at night.

Writes Cloe, "The feeling of that compress was heavenly. Even though everyone said I'd always know where my arm was broken (rain and humidity brings back the pain for the rest of your life), I never felt it and I attribute that to the comfrey compress routine. It's known to heal wounds extremely fast as well (I use a pre-made ointment of comfrey and aloe on scratches and minor wounds and they disappear overnight). I see comfrey as the crazy glue of broken bones and skin...

various filed sources
Rowena

A natural health care practitioner told me once that massaging her clients' bodies with comfrey ointment healed her own hands at the same time.