Hello Kathryn,

That is exactly why chlorine dioxide is so superior to chlorine.  While they
are in the same family, their mode of action is very different.

Chlorine acts by coming into contact with the mold.  While in contact, it
oxidizes it, and at the same time chlorinates it leaving a disinfection by
product.  It have very little penetration power, so you have to actively apply
it to every piece of mold in order for it to have a chance at being effective.
Also, you need a much stronger solution than what is currently recommended for
use with mold.  When you use that strong a concentration, you end up with
bleach damage.

Chlorine dioxide, on the other hand, remains as a gas, even when it is in
solution.  As a gas it penetrates structures and kills not only the surface
mold, but also the "root structure" of the mold.  It does not chlorinate the
spores, it simply oxidizes them.

I totally agree that you should first do your best to eliminate the moisture
source, and then clean up any mold that is present.  However, beyond that
chlorine dioxide has the ability to penetrate dry wall, furniture, books, the
wood work in closets, grout in the shower, and so on.  This penetrating power
kills the mold that is left after cleaning.

Chlorine dioxide at high concentrations does have a strong odor, but I am
surprised at how well people who are odor sensitive tolerate it use when the
proper concentrations are used.  There is a fine line between an effective
concentration and one that is an irritant, however, if you follow the proper
instructions the side effects are eliminated.

Also, there are ways to incorporate chlorine dioxide without any odor at all.

Tom