You wrote: "ode [oink..what the heck do we really "know" ?? ]"

Nothing, apparently.  The chicken, for instance, occurs wild in Asia.

Dan

"The domestic chicken is descended primarily from the Red Junglefowl
(Gallus gallus) and is scientifically classified as the same
species.[5] As such it can and does freely interbreed with populations
of red jungle fowl.[5] Recent genetic analysis has revealed that at
least the gene for yellow skin was incorporated into domestic birds
through hybridization with the Grey Junglefowl (G. sonneratii).[6]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken