Richard,

     I agree!

Bob
----- Original Message ----- From: "Marshall Dudley" <mdud...@king-cart.com>
To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2010 8:06 AM
Subject: Re: CS>A closer look at americium 241 from a smoke detector

Bob Banever wrote:
Richard,
You entire premise is flawed. Radioactivity is a natural byproduct of decaying organic material and has it's rightful place in the ground. By being there it is safely away from harming humans and other living things that have no need for this type of radioactivity. By your premise digging it up, concentrating it and putting in our personal environments is ok. Nothing could be farthur from the truth. This type of energy is destructive to DNA... it kills living things in such high concentrations. Why would you want to expose yourself or your loved ones to ionizing radiation? It causes cancer, genetic defects, and a host of other diseases in plants, animals, and man.
Every coin has its flip side. Ionizing radiation is also the prime mover in evolution, without which most species would have probably become extinct without evolving over time to handle changes in their environment. Small amounts, as in the form of cosmic rays is part of the grand plan and essential to its functioning. Large amounts are harmful of course, just as with almost anything, even water and vitamins. And of course without the UV light from the sun, we would have all been dead long ago from vitamin D deficiency, and even with the vitamin D pills today, without the ionizing radiation from the sun, there would be no ozone layer which is part of the earth's purification process for airborne contaminates. If there was no good in something then it would not exist, everything has its time and place. Nature is balance of all its parts. (Although for the life of me I see no need for ticks and mosquitoes).

Marshall