From:   Victoria Welch [SMTP:vi...@oz.net]
Sent:   Thursday, September 16, 1999 12:05 PM
To:     silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject:        Re: CS>How to heat solution?

"James Osbourne, Holmes" wrote:

> I suggest  the aquarium heater only to bring the solution up to temp for
> [ ... ]  The pain is having to watch it so you
> don't get it too hot, and then have to cool it.

Or you can do what I used to do to process color film in my bathroom.

 Either get a controlled temperature faucet OR (what I did) get a decent
reasonably fast acting thermometer and fill the sink slowly enough that
the overflow will handle it (or partially crack the stopper) while
adjusting the hot and cold to get a given temperature.

I used to use a glass with the thermometer in it to start under the
faucet - as the sink fills it takes longer to compensate for
differences.  I think this was the secret to making this process
reasonably easy.

This worked quite well enough to get the photo processing chemicals to
77F (as I recall).  It was a PITA to adjust the first time, but after
that I marked the faucet control knobs and adjustment was pretty quick.

If you are going for a long run and are worried about wasting water, you
can get it started this way, use the water to transfer to whatever you
are sticking the brew cup in and *then* put in the heater and adjust it
to where it just comes on.  I did that here with the fish tank - I
caught a day where the ambient temperature was what I wanted the fish
tank to be - stuck the heater in the tank and adjusted it to just come
on and the tank has maintained the temperature (every time I ever
checked) very closely.

Just a thought!

Take care, Vikki.
--
Victoria Welch, WV9K, DoD#-13, Net/Sys/WebAdmin SeaStar.org,
vikki.oz.net