I hadn't planned on posting about humectants but since the subject has sort of
come up I guess that I will mention a little that I've learned. I first looked
into them when Brooks posted the CS/DMSO/glycerin recipe. And I find them quite
interesting.

As mentioned below, glycerin can aid in transdermal penetration of other
substances. So I wondered if in some applications if glycerin or other
humectants can be used in place of DMSO since my wife objects to my body odor
when I use DMSO (even in small amounts). While I do not believe that humectants
can match DMSO it appears that they are useful in many cases. Of the humectants
listed the previous post, three humectants in addition to glycerin appear to
have very interesting properties. They are urea, propylene glycol and
polyethylene glycol. All are safe for oral and topical use and all act as
transdermal penetration enhancers. Propylene glycol even appears to be a better
transdermal penetration enhancer than glycerin. Urea and propylene glycol are
readily available and lower cost than glycerin. Urea can cost much less. Some
comments on each of the three:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_glycol

** High-molecular-weight PEG, e.g., PEG 8000, has been shown to be a dietary
preventive agent against colorectal cancer in animal models.[11]
The Chemoprevention Database shows it is the most effective agent to suppress
chemical carcinogenesis in rats. Cancer prevention in humans has not yet been
tested in clinical trials.[12]

** The injection of PEG 2000 into the bloodstream of guinea pigs after spinal
cord injury leads to rapid recovery through molecular repair of nerve
membranes.[13] The effectiveness of this treatment to prevent paraplegia in
humans after an accident is not known yet.

** PEG is being used in the repair of motor neurons damaged in crush or
laceration incidence in vivo and in vitro. When coupled with melatonin, 75% of
damaged sciatic nerves were rendered viable.[14]

** PEG is also used in lubricant eye drops.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol

** As a solvent in many pharmaceuticals, including oral, injectable and topical
formulations.

** As an emulsification agent in Angostura and orange bitters

** As a moisturizer in medicines, cosmetics, food, toothpaste, mouth wash, hair
care and tobacco products

** As a carrier in fragrance oils

** As an ingredient in massage oils

** In hand sanitizers, antibacterial lotions, and saline solutions

** As the main ingredient in deodorant sticks.

** Studies conducted in 1942 by Dr. Oswald Hope Robertson of University of
Chicago's Billings Hospital showed vaporized propylene glycol inhalation in
laboratory mice may prevent pneumonia, influenza, and other respiratory
diseases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea

** A component of animal feed, providing a relatively cheap source of nitrogen
to promote growth.

** An ingredient in some skin cream[6], Moisturizer, hair conditioners, .

** Certain types of instant cold packs (or ice packs) contain water and
separated urea crystals. Rupturing the internal water bag starts an endothermic
reaction and allows the pack to be used to reduce swelling. (Make your own
ready-to-use cold compresses!!)

** An ingredient in many tooth whitening products.

** An ingredient in dish soap.

** Along with ammonium phosphate, as a yeast nutrient, for fermentation of
sugars into ethanol.

** Urea in concentrations up to 10 M is a powerful protein denaturant as it
disrupts the noncovalent bonds in the proteins. This property can be exploited
to increase the solubility of some proteins. (Can this be used to denature whey
protein??)

** Urea is used in topical dermatological products to promote rehydration of
the skin.

** Urea is the main component of an alternative medicinal treatment referred to
as urine therapy.

Urea is perhaps my favorite of the three. It is very low cost (animal feed
quality). Urea fertilizer can be used in a pinch. Urea is believed to be the
primary active component in urine therapy. Many protocols used only urea and
not urine.
http://cancerresourcecenter.com/articles/alt114.html
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_268/ai_n15893086/

It is also combined with other substances for various uses.

Wound healing - http://www.ehow.com/about_5065905_papain-urea.html

Acne - http://www.drugs.com/mtm/zoderm.html
        http://www.acne.org/zoderm-reviews/273/page1.html

Skin inflammation - http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000432.html

It is also used in body washes and shampoos. In addition to moisturizing the
skin, it removes chlorine from the hair and skin. -
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4295985.html

And there are many more. It would be worth your time to do some googling on the
various humectants.

Regards,
    Steve N