Hydrochloric acid can be purchased for about $8 a gallon at Lowes or Home Depot. I bought a gallon about 3 weeks ago at Home Depot myself.

Marshall

On 10/23/2010 1:16 PM, Saralou wrote:
When I want HCl for last-ditch laundry stain removal, I use The Works brand toilet bowl cleaner. Ustabe it said 5% HCl-- current label doesn't. I'd prolly try on a MRSA outbreak it but would never ever recommend it.

If you're in the States, there are some chemical supply houses from which you can purchase lab chemicals. Here are a few links.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hydrochloric-Acid-32-Lab-Grade-Reagent-/270604455151?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f01484cef
http://www.daigger.com/catalog/product/d-Safe-D/Safe-D+Educational+Chemicals/p-449963WBE/Hydrochloric+Acid
http://www.gfschemicals.com/statics/productdetails/HYDROCHLORIC_ACID_2586.html
http://titanreagents.com/HCL-reagent-tech.htm
http://www.piercenet.com/Products/Browse.cfm?fldID=77D92194-D795-2845-76D7-6DE8226076F6&CFID=15017354&CFTOKEN=15788491
http://www.sciencelab.com/page/S/PVAR/23000/SLH1462
http://www.reagent.co.uk/hydrochloric-acid.html

from one of Steve's conversations................I recommended using *Reagent grade iodine and iodide.* Reagent grade is the highest laboratory grade and is not pharmaceutical grade. Reagent grade has to be fairly pure for it's use in a lab. For example, many pharmaceutical drugs are made using Reagent grade chemicals.