Alan,

Along with the many other good suggestions, I would suggest Emotional
Freedom Technique (EFT).

I had a relative who was clearly suffering from post-traumatic stress
after a cardiac close call and a series of invasive medical procedures.
Combined with a fearsome financial situation as a result of their
temporary disability, they were so bound up in fear and anxiety that
they were almost non-functional, suffering frequent extreme anxiety
attacks and persistent insomnia.

It took some "tough love" (read: at least one shouting match!) to get
them to confront what they were doing to themselves and to instill the
inkling that some positive response was even possible.

I then was able to introduce EFT and guided them through frequent
sessions for a week or more, gradually confronting each element of the
trauma from the hospital experiences, plus their fears about job, money,
mortality, and whatever else expressed itself or acted as a trigger.

They learned to do the procedure themselves, and I often received
reports in the morning of self-administered sessions that helped them
get back to sleep the night before.

In a little over a month, they were emotionally recovered and in fact
considerably stronger than they were before events overtook them. Their
physical situation improved substantially, permitting them to return to
work within 6 months, and there is no doubt in my mind that that would
not have been possible under the extreme stress to which they were
subjected by the emotional issues.

Your situation is, thankfully, more tame than that, but no less
important to you than this was for us. As a way to dissipate your fears
and anxiety so as to allow a positive outlook to express itself, EFT
will serve you well, and is technically very simple, to boot.

Peace,

Mike D.

On Fri, 2012-11-09 at 07:43 -0600, Alan Jones wrote:
> My world has been turned upside down.  After nearly 30 years at the
> same company, where I always got stellar performance reviews and
> incredible raises, bonuses and stock options, all of a sudden, without
> warning, I am told I make too much money and my employment is in
> immediate jeopardy (I'm a software engineer).
>
> If this wasn't bad enough, my body is responding with extreme stress
> and anxiety, which are severely affecting my ability to function in my
> job, let alone life.
>
> My wife has some anxiety pills which I have been taking, which help a
> bit.  I hate drugs, however, and am looking for other options.  I
> would think that some effective hypnosis program would be useful to
> get this under control, but so far haven't found anything that looks
> effective.
>
> Any help is appreciated...
>
> --
> Alan Jones
>
> "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution,
> nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States
> respectively, or to the people."  (Tenth Amendment to the US
> Constitution)

Archives: