----- Original Message -----
From: Marshall Dudley <mdud...@execonn.com>

> Ivan Anderson wrote:
>
> >  PPM reading was supplied by a silver Ion Selective Electrode.
> > Water was Purified Water BP and read 1uS before electrolysis.
>
> Prior to purchasing our spectrophotometer and silver kit, I check into
using a
> silver ion selective electrode for measuring ppm.

Thats odd, on the first of July  you wrote:
"I am intrigued by this device.  Do you know where on the web I can find
more information on it?  We may want to acquire one to improve our
testing ability.  I have done some searching on the net for "silver
ISE", but have not found any references."

> I was told that it measures
> the number of ions (amount of charge) assuming the normal mobility of
silver
> ions, and that silver colloid would not produce a correct measurement
due to
> there typically being less charge on each particle than the number of
atoms in
> the particle, and due to the mobility being different than for one
ion.

The ISE does not measure the number of ions but rather the activity of
the ions in the sample in question. In biology this is the most
important question. This activity can be can be extrapolated to the
concentration of the sample by the use of appropriate standards. The
mobility of the ions or particles does not really enter the equation as
the sample should be stirred briskly, just short of creating a vortex.
It is correct that colloids may be comprised of both charged and
uncharged atoms, but as my readings to date have been within 2ppm of
total recoverable silver assays as conducted by independant
laboritories, I am confident that my readings are accurate, and that the
charge on the colloid is probably the sum of the atoms it is comprised
of.

> To use it properly one has to digest the silver so that you have
silver
> nitrate first, then use the probe on the residual silver nitrate.
This is
> exactly the same process I have to go through with the
spectrophotometer for
> ppm measurements.
>
> I was wanting to verify that you were indeed digesting the colloidal
silver
> before using the probe.  If so this is a very interesting set of
curves.

Well, no I don't use nitric acid, and I notice from later messages that
you probaby don't need to either. Perhaps you can tell me about the
method you are about to try, maybe it will work for the ISE as well, and
we can swap a bit of data.

> Thanks,
>
> Marshall

Regards - Ivan