I believe this is a correct analysis. It might be worth while figuring out something that can be added to the water that will increase conductivity and not produce such corrosive chemicals. Any salt, acid or alkaline will work. I was thinking of either vinegar (acetic acid) or citric acid. I believe that hydrogen will be released at one electrode and CO2 at the other. The CO2 is probably not a problem, it will make carbonic acid, but the hydrogen will quickly react with most metals making a metal hydride. So the choice of electrode material will be important.

I am looking at the pads on a TENS unit. They appear to have a carbon conductive layer, and you use some type of gel with it. Carbon would be a good choice if made like they are in the TENS unit.

Marshall