Here is the opinion of another herb user.

> Subject: Re: Making garlic-mullein in olive oil
>
> I take fresh garlic, and mince it very tiny, then I just add olive oil to
> about 1/2 over the top of the garlic.  Let this sit about a week or two.  You
> can then strain it off, if you want to, but I always just leave the garlic in
> it, keep it refrigerated, and then use the garlic part for cooking, and the
> oil I put into ears.  This works so fast and effectively for ear infections,
> it is almost unbelievable.  I guess you could also mince up your mullein
> fine, and add it with your garlic and olive oil.
>
> Diana Manseau, moderator, 7mFarm & Herbals

I prefer to buy the oil already prepared.  But I do know how to identify
mullein in the wild and could use it that way if need be.  I know that
when you make mullein tea you must filter it with a fine cloth, or even
two layers, as the herb has a grist that is irritating to the
esophagus.  Making a tincture would be a matter of soaking the herb in
vodka or everclear.  Making a preparation from the oil of any herb one
must dilute the essential oil with olive oil, maybe no more than 15
drops of the essential oil to one or two tablespoons of olive oil.  Use
the film canister, fill it half way full with olive oil, and then add
your essential oil.  You will learn with experience how to judge how
strong to make your combinations.  Essential oils and there uses is a
whole subject in itself.  Onelist.com has a couple of lists which cover
this subject.  One is "health-resources" and another is 7mFarm-herbal.
Kris