Hi Neville:

I remember reading your initial post and being puzzled by it, but not having anything of value to contribute.

As far as scrub pads contaminating pure silver, since silver is way softer than steel, risk fo contamination is low unless you think cleaning the silver is a sanding project.

You make my point. I myself use a plastic scrubber for my straight/rounded electrodes, and have no problem. The point of using an abrasive is to eliminate or reduce the electrode degradation, which is a significant issue in my opinion, as far as it effects the brewing process. You might be able to get away with using a paper towel to clean electrodes, but you also might be surprised at the amount of jagged edges are actually created on the silver electrode in the standard "home brew" setup, over time.

Cleaning my Silvergen SG7 electrodes is much more involved. Luckily, the degradation of the electrodes is very minimal due to the reverse polarity used and the rapid water circulation. I have to use makeup removers, which are made from a dense cotton, similar in shape to Q-Tips.

Since these are flat electrodes, ***the silver oxide particles that do build up*** on the electrodes provides enough abrasion to reproduce a completely smooth surface on the electrodes, thanks to the perfect design of the electrode configuration.

~Jason