Hello again RaVen,

A couple of more comments about foods. I nice dietary guide here:

http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/abcs-of-nutrition/dietary-guidelines/

And specific things we do in my house:

1. We make and drink kefir every day. In NY my family can get raw milk too,
but that is not an option for me in Japan.

2. We make our own bread several times a week, incorporating healthier
grains, like Einkorn, Spelt, etc. (The grains or flour should really be
soaked to improve nutrition, but we are not yet perfect about this)

3. We make chocolate every week - cocoa powder, coconut oil, and maple
syrup. Simple, healthy and delicious. It reduces our consumption of the
processed chocolate and gets more coconut oil into our diet.

4. We make healthy oatmeal cookies every week. The oats are mixed with
freshly ground spelt or einkorn, and soaked overnight in a coconut oil &
apple cider vinegar mixture. Adding some rye is helpful too, as soaking
with this mix of grains greatly improves our nutrition absorption. (Soaking
oats alone does not help much).

5. I eat oatmeal several times a week, again mixing it with spelt or
einkorn, and soaking it overnight in water and apple cider vinegar or lemon
juice. When I cook it, I add a generous amount of sea salt (Himalayan or
Celtic) to my water, as well has a spoonful each of ghee and coconut oil. I
add cinnamon and raisins (or chopped apple) to my oatmeal mix, dump it in
the water and cook it for five minutes.

6. I have recently been making mayonnaise, using a blend of coconut oil and
olive oil. Another small way to remove chemicals from our diet and
incorporate healthy oils.

7. On occasion I will make tortillas, using the soaked/sprouted healthy
grains and coconut oil. I would make these more often, but my family
prefers other healthy breads.

8. Bacon and eggs, cooked in coconut oil or ghee and salted with sea salt
is a healthy meal. Don't believe the cholesterol fears. Of course, get
'natural' bacon & eggs.

9. French toast can be another healthy meal. Again cooked in the healthy
oils, using sea salt, eggs, cinnamon, and of course homemade bread.

10. Raw veggies every day - carrots, celery, tomatoes, cucumbers, are
delicious when dipped in a healthy miso & mayo dip. Homemade mayo makes it
even better.

11. Soups, stews, curries, etc. are loaded with veggies, and soup stocks
from chicken carcass or other bones provide great nutrition. This is
something we are not great at, as meat options are limited in Japan.

We are always looking for delicious ways to improve our nutrition, but we
are far from perfect. I think every family is different, as what is
practical and delicious for one person may not be so for another.

Grains are tricky, as they are the main culprit in blocking our nutrition
absorption. However, they become a super food when processed correctly. In
addition, the apple cider vinegar and lemon juice that is used for soaking
is another healthy addition. One of the best blogs I know for guidance on
grains is here:

http://www.weedemandreap.com/guide-soaking-sprouting-grains/

That was probably too much information ;-)

Victor