From:   Ivan Anderson [SMTP:i...@win.co.nz]
Sent:   Friday, December 10, 1999 4:35 AM
To:     silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject:        Re: CS>RE:Particle size -LV and HV

> Hi Guys,
>
> May this mean that the tendency for particles to stay apart is a
function of Zeta?  And Zeta is quantatized  1,2,3.

> James Osbourne Holmes
> a...@trail.com

Exactly.
Chemists can adjust the stability of their colloids by adding
surfactants, salts etc, and quantifying the results with the zeta
potential. Paint for instance needs to spread easily and the pigment
needs to settle in a manner that does not form a dense mass so that it
may be stirred and spread though out the medium. Therefore the zeta
potential should be low, likewise many compound medicines. The
opposite is true for oils etc.
The zeta potential in these multidisperse systems would be analogue I
should think, but in monodisperse colloids I believe you may be
correct in thinking of the zeta reading being quantised in distinct
but probably unequal steps.

Ivan