From:   Guenter Poelz [SMTP:po...@mail.desy.de]
Sent:   Thursday, December 09, 1999 12:00 PM
To:     silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject:        Re: CS>RE:Particle size -LV and HV

Hello James,
many thanks for your interest
"James Osbourne, Holmes" schrieb:

> Hi Guenter,
>
> Thanks for your continuing comments.

Here are my opininions:
>Is the O2 the dipole?  Or the Silver?.

O2 is symmetric. Two oxygen atoms are symmetrically bound to a molecule
with nobel gas like ends. The bond is strong. This can not be a dipole
by itself because it is not left-right asymmetric. (Because it is not a
sphere, it has higher asymmetries. It forms a "quadrupole" like
  -
+   +
  -
but this is not of interest here.)
All atoms are spherical. Thus they are not intrinsic dipoles. Many
molecules also don't form dipoles. But if they are inserted into an outer
electric field, they are polarised: outer elctrons are pulled toward the
anode and the body is pulled toward the cathode. This is an induced dipole,
induced by the outer electric field.  The induced dipole moment (the
strength of the dipole) of O2 will be weak because the electrons are
strongly bound. But metals give strong induced dipoles, because the outer
electrons are very weakly attached.
>How does the separate rotation of the ions translate into a
> rotation of the bulk around the arc bars?
I don't see any electric or magnetic effect which could lead to a circular
movement. But often such things occur because your setup is not totally
symmetric (the same with the waterflow in your bath tub). E.g.  the
suspended electrode is slightly bent or the obstacles in the water are not
left-right symmetric.
>If it reverses each cycle, what
> is the force which is unbalanced enough to hold the cone up?
You apply maximum and zero energy to the water during half a cycle. In the
next cycle again in the same direction etc.. You  will have in average
(over time) a mean positive (upward) energy applied. This is the mean
gravitational energy  the water gains. Depending on the resonant properties
of the water cone, it will oscillate between a maximum and a minimum value.
The average must be positive.

That's how I see it,
Gunter

> James Osbourne Holmes