Hi again Roger,

----- Original Message -----
From: <rogalt...@aol.com>

> Ivan:
>
> I believe I addressed the CO2 issue earlier. As I said before, I
don't
> believe that Ag+ is present in unadulterated, electrolytically
produced CS,
> and even if it were, why would it clog "the pores of the junction"
if a
> Ag/AgCl reference electrode were used. It seems to me that a
saturated
> condition ALREADY EXISTS by virtue of the presence of solid AgCl, so
> precipitation specifically at the junction would be unlikely unless
LOCAL
> temperature fluctuations caused periodic supersaturation. And even
then, the
> supersaturated condition would be transient. Experience with READING
a good
> quality pH meter should reveal measurement problems with CS, or
anything else > for that matter.

> Roger

The wire of the reference electrode is Ag/AgCl and is surrounded by a
KCl solution. Ag ions can react with this solution forming
precipitates which can plug the pores of the reference / test solution
junction, so I am led to believe.
The quote I posted comes from a manual on pH testing.

Yes of course there is no substitute for experience, something I am
lacking!

Ivan.

> << Guys,
>
>  I never said the measurements were erroneous, I said that there is
>  probably some other reason causing the low pH reading, perhaps
ranging
>  from CO2 inclusion to AgOH production, or possibly faulty /
>  inappropriate pH measuring equipment.
>  I mentioned pH test gear as a possible source of error with this
quote
>  in mind :
>
>  "Chemical reactions between electrolytes and the measured solution
>  lead to errors. The resulting precipitates clog the pores of the
>  junction and thereby increase the electrical resistance
considerably.