----- Original Message -----
From: <rogalt...@aol.com>

> << I disaggree here, it is quite possible to manufacture a silver
colloid
>  by precipitating the NO3 from a silver nitrate solution, leaving
only
>  the silver ions in solution. The fact that the water molecules
>  surround the charged silver particles creates the local neutrality
you
>  mention, at the edge of the water layer.>>
>
> Frankly, I'm baffled by this statement. However, since nitrate ions
are not
> present in my model of what is occuring, I prefer not to travel down
this
> road.

Roger, you brought NO3- ions into the discussion. I merely mentioned
nitrate as an illustration that counter ions are not required.

>   >> Well, that is getting low and rain water has a deal of other
dissolved
>  substances also, whereas distilled water has little of these and
does
>  readily absorb CO2 from the atmosphere. CO2 absorption may be a
>  contributing factor, indeed when making pH measurements which are
>  lower than expected this is the first place to look.<<
>
> Ivan: I don't think you understood what I was saying. Let me try to
make this
> point another way. Bubble air into distilled water and continue to
measure
> the pH until the cows come home and tells us what you get.

A rise in CO2 absorption and hence a lowering in pH, yes?

> >> It is perfectly possible to have a colloid of an insoluble
substance.
>  Silver itself could not be a colloid if it were soluble. AgO and
AgOH
>  will swap around depending on the pH of the solution and may have a
>  very small particle size, besides which most insoluble substances
are
>  soluble to some degree.<<
>
> Have you identified these species using SEM, TEM or by x-ray
diffraction
> methods. If not, where's the evidence for such compounds?

No, why would I? I have no suspicion of these products in my CS, which
is neutral or slightly alkaline. The HVAC arc electrolysis method is
known to create up to 15% silver oxide (hydroxide). If this is correct
then is it possible that this is the cause of a surfiet of hydronium
ions, hydronium ions being, as far as I know the only measure of pH.

> > Yes that's true enough, although I have tried to show that your
theory
>  of polarised water molecules being the cause of a low pH reading to
be
>  unlikely.<
>
> Ivan: I don't believe you have even begun to do that.

Oh well, I can but try.

> > I know that free Ag+ ions exist in my CS because I could not read
them
>  with my ISE if it were otherwise, and I would be happy to test your
CS
>  for the same, if you foot the bill for postage to New Zealand<g>
>
> If Ag+ ions exist, what are the counter-balancing anions. Static
charge on
> colloidal silver particles is one thing, but separate positive or
negative
> ions existing without INTIMATE association with ions of the opposite
charge
> is impossible, and to suggest otherwise is incomprehensible to me.
>
> Roger

Sorry to hear that Roger because it is certainly true. If you were to
place a piece of silver wire in pure water then there will be a
constant (although very small) dissolusion and reabsorption of silver
ions to and from the water at the wire surface. Silver ions can be
captured in water having been ionised in a plasma, which I have done
myself. Place a piece of aluminium foil in a sample of CS, if the sol
contains Ag ions then they will plate out releasing Al ions into the
water.
When salt (NaCl) is dissolved in water the components separate and are
solvated, surrounded by water molecules, and move freely having no
attraction for each other. Only ions can carry a charge in water. The
electrostatic charge of particles in water is the loss or gain of
electrons just as it is with ions. In fact an electrostatically
charged particle is an ion. An Ion Selective Electrode will measure
only the ions it is sensitive to and nothing else. H2O2 will react
with metallic silver but not ionic silver.

What else can there be in a silver sol generated by LVDC in distilled
water that satisfies the tests mentioned above.

Ivan.