<< Guys,

 I never said the measurements were erroneous, I said that there is
 probably some other reason causing the low pH reading, perhaps ranging
 from CO2 inclusion to AgOH production, or possibly faulty /
 inappropriate pH measuring equipment.
 I mentioned pH test gear as a possible source of error with this quote
 in mind :

 "Chemical reactions between electrolytes and the measured solution
 lead to errors. The resulting precipitates clog the pores of the
 junction and thereby increase the electrical resistance considerably.
 The following ions react with KCI to form compounds of low solubility:
 Hg 2+ , Cu 2+ , Ag + , Pb 2+ , CIO 4"

 I have a glass lab grade pH electrode and am vigilant in keeping the
 junction squeaky clean.

 I accept that pH of HVAC CS is acidic... now why is it so?

 Ivan.

Ivan:

I believe I addressed the CO2 issue earlier. As I said before, I don't
believe that Ag+ is present in unadulterated, electrolytically produced CS,
and even if it were, why would it clog "the pores of the junction" if a
Ag/AgCl reference electrode were used. It seems to me that a saturated
condition ALREADY EXISTS by virtue of the presence of solid AgCl, so
precipitation specifically at the junction would be unlikely unless LOCAL
temperature fluctuations caused periodic supersaturation. And even then, the
supersaturated condition would be transient. Experience with READING a good
quality pH meter should reveal measurement problems with CS, or anything else
for that matter.

Roger