In a message dated 6/17/00 2:50:59 AM EST, i...@win.co.nz writes:

<< Hi folks,

 I originally thought that this reaction might be an indication of the
 metallic content (uncharged or slightly charged silver aggregates) of
 colloidal silver. This proved to be so in the tests I performed. Fred
 has attempted to refine the concept by quantifying the gas released, but
 unfortunately there is not a great deal of gas evolution, although there
 seems to be a gas phase which is plain to see.

 The silver - hydrogen peroxide catalytic effect really only occurs with
 high purity H2O2 (> 90%) being pumped through silver mesh.

Ivan: This type of contact is hardly that which is occurring when (I believe
3%) H2O2 is added to freshly made CS. So how can anyone claim that (3%)
peroxide can be used to identify metallic silver in CS? Also it's very
confusing to me how the term catalyzed reaction is being used (probably not
by you). I thought a catalyst is something that PROMOTES a reaction without
TAKING PART in that reaction. The reaction below clearly show that silver is
one of the reactants. On the other hand, is it not possible that silver DOES
catalyze the reduction of (relatively unstable) H2O2? Your comments please.

 H2O2 will oxidise metallic silver Ag

 2(Ag)  +  H2O2  +  2H+  + 2e  >  2(Ag+  +  e)  +  2H2O

 E(cell) = 0.977 V
 log K = 33.06168
 K = 1.15e33
 deltaG= -188.53169 kJ/mol

 but will not oxidise the silver ion Ag+ in a neutral or acid solution.
 In a basic solution H2O2 will reduce Ag+ by way of the hydroxyl ion OH-
 surfiet.

Ivan: How basic (pH?) does the solution have to be to get this reaction to
the right?

 H2O2 + 2OH- + 2(Ag+  +  e) >  O2  +  2H2O  +  2e  +  2(Ag)

 E(cell) = 0.945 V
 log K = 31.9788
 K = 9.52e31
 deltaG = -182.35665 kJ/mol