An LED will only take about 20 ma, so if you hook it up between the battery posts without a current limiter, it will blow out. Doing this won't tell anything about the CS either. Try putting the LED in series with the output. It will be dim at first and grow brighter as the water becomes more conductive. Again, if you short out the electrodes, the LED will burn unless there is some sort of current limitation like a resistor or grain of wheat bulb also in series. Somewhere between 1.5k ohms and 2 K ohms should do it.
 Ken