Hi Steve,

First off; I am NOT an expert.  However I do have some experience.

That said.........

I suspect you have 19 PPM or thereabouts. Well, within 10-15% anyway. As you know we sell the PWT and advertise it as being within 10% when reading CS made with our generator. Since your results were from a constant current source and the current delivered was about the same as our generators produce, it seems to me the results should correlate. I'm not sure about the starting voltage but current limiting is still the same as what we do. We start out with about 38-40 volts but as I see it your generator setup would just get up to speed much quicker. I assume the voltage dropped very rapidly soon after you started the process and came down to the 25-30 volt range quickly. And then slowly dropped to the end point of 8 volts.

The one difference I do see is that we use 1/4" wide electrodes and you used #12 wire. Not sure if that would make much difference, but it could. We use wetted depth of about 4+ inches. Our voltage at the end of what is read as a 20 PPM batch is about 7 volts across the electrodes so it seems close enough to me to be comparable.

I'm sure there are some who will say I'm wrong but we had samples analyzed using the atomic absorption method and the result was that our PWT readings correlated to those test readings within about 10%. That's why I stand by the PWT as being the best PPM indicator for the average person. It is very affordable and repeatable. And after all we're only talking about a very small quantity of silver in a liter of water.

For those who don't know, the definition of PPM is 1 milligram of silver in 1 liter of water. A small quantity indeed!

The weak Tyndall is exactly what we get using the current value you use. We attribute it to low constant current and the stirring of the water during production. Our units also stir at 30 RPM.

The only thing you didn't mention was the quantity of water used. Our generator is calibrated for a pint but will also make a quart and end up with about the same PPM and Tyndall. We sometimes make a half gallon at time but it takes considerably longer to get up to speed with the voltage we use. I suspect your higher voltage unit would get the process going much quicker in a larger volume of water.

I would trust the PWT readings. However there is a caveat. The Hanna information says take about 50% of the reading. They may be correct for undigested silver but we had our AA tests run using digested and undigested samples. Digested samples came out about the same as AA readings and undigested samples came out reading about 55% of the AA tests when tested with the PWT. So, Hanna and we are both right.

I think you have a very good end product as attested to by the very weak Tyndall. For those who are new to the list, weak Tyndall is good because it means there are many more individual silver particles in the water. And the more particles there are, the better the chances of CS coming in contact with bacteria and virus. After all it is a numbers game. And of course particle size is important because smaller IS better in this case.

I'd keep on doing exactly what you're doing Steve.

Trem
www.silvergen.com
Constant Current Colloid Generators