Dear Russ,
                            I am somewhat puzzled by your statement of
inquiry.  Maybe a brief explanation of the DMSO--MSM connection might serve
to clarify the situation and bring the whole situation into better focus.
                            All commercially available DMSO, of which I am
aware...".comes from lignin, an organic cement-like substance that binds wood
fiber together.  the first step in the process was extracting dimethyl
sulfide (DMS) from the lignin, which was then oxygenated to form DMSO.  The
company (Crown Zellerbach) was exploring the solvent potential of DMSO for
industrial use."  .....Quote by Dr. Stanley Jacob in "The Miracle of MSM".
                    In the late 1970's, Rober Herschler suggested stjudying
the properties of DMSO metabolites. -----------"we began to look at dimethy
sulfone, DMSO2---another scientific name for MSM---which is the major
metabolite of DMSO.".    * Ibid.
                    As far as I know....there is only one source type, for
DMSO and its metabolites......and that is from plant-derived lignin
fractions.  Attempting to "synthesize" this material from other sources would
appear to be the height of folly----since the "parent material" (DMSO)
derived from a 'throw-away' product Crown Zellerbach was trying to find a
viable commercial application for----in the first place.  Lignin, from trees,
is one of the most abundant organic derivatives----on the planet.
                I am afraid the public is being subjected to powerful HYPE,
generated by commercial interests eager to get people to "Buy my Dog"....he
is UNIQUE.
                There are few---if any---mysteries about the source of DMSO
or any of its metabolites....including MSM.   All of them (metabolites) are
derived from DMSO.
                At some future time, when we all have more time, I will spin
some interesting stories as to the "exact" differences between DMSO and MSM.
                I hope this helps.  Sincerely,  Brooks Bradley.