Frank,

I do not know what is causing the metallic silver to dissolve, but dissolve
it does, conforming no doubt to the law of physics.

I am still not convinced that metallic silver does not dissolve to some
degree in water, even if you laugh at such a silly idea!

>From www.silverlon.com
note: silverlon coating is 99% metallic and 1% oxide.

Differences in the Release Rates of Ionic and Nonionic Silver

 The silver released from the Silverlon® surface is 100% in the ionic (Ag+1)
with no silver released in the metallic nanocrystaline form.  The silver
released from the Acticoat® surface is ionic (Ag+1) and metal
nanocrystaline.  The vapor deposition technique utilized in the manufacturer
of Acticoat® creates nanocrystaline clusters on the surface of the plated
surface that are easily displaced by mechanical forces.  Quantification of
the rate of silver (nanocrystaline and ionic) release has been measured for
Silverlon® and Acticoat® in vitro.  The Silverlon® silver release rate was
measured in vitro in a specified volume of tryptic soy broth while the
Acticoat® silver release rate was measured in water flowing through the
Acticoat dressing at a flow rate of 0.33 ml/hour (considered ultra slow) or
7.92 ml per 24 hours.  In 24 hours, Acticoat® (64 cm2) release 40
microgram/ml of water.  In 24 hours, Silverlon® (100 cm2) Wound Contact
Dressing released 30 micrograms/ml of tryptic soy broth.  Tryptic soy broth
more closely approximated the physiology of a wound than water.  Due to the
differing experimental procedures, conclusions are difficult at best.  The
silver released from Acticoat® comprised a mix of ionic silver and
nanocrystaline species of silver whereas the silver release from Silverlon®
comprised only ionic silver.