Most people choose to believe information that supports their concept of who
they are, and reject information that challenges that identity.

James-Osbourne: Holmes

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Kevin Nolan [mailto:ken...@optusnet.com.au]
Sent:   Thursday, April 25, 2002 8:18 AM
To:     silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject:        Re: CS>GMO ACTION ALERTS

The general citizenry is being asked to make a blanket stand on an issue
that is far from just black & white. Once you commit to something the strong
tendency is to then remain committed regardless of subsequent developments -
as evidenced in religious, political, even sporting allegiance. Fear and
disinformation abounds on both sides of this one. Dangers need to be
sensibly weighed against benefits. Political/corporate issues need to be
separated from the purely scientific/technological issues. A TEMPORARY
moratorium is something I would be resonably comfortable with. Forever
banning GMO tech is a 'king Canute' fantasy - the potential benefits are too
great - fears of being left behind by competitors will ensure this genie
stays out of the bottle. Best thing is to firstly get acquanted with all the
pro AND con arguments; eg
http://mars.cropsoil.uga.edu/~parrottlab/forum2.htm.

Kevin Nolan