some Old Coins were minted or hammered out of silver and gold bullion in the
olden days, it wasn't until they (US GOV) removed all gold and most  pure silver
from our monetary system that silver was only a % of the coin, not pure.

My Grandfather told me they used silver bullion or coins in milk  because they
had no refrigeration in the mid 1800's.  Also it was a good hiding place.
Tel
Dewey, AZ