Andy

From: Robert Berger
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 16:09:16
Hi Andy,

If it is silver oxide it will dissolve with hot water from the faucet. With
my squirrel cage anode setup I have used it about 48 hours at 1.19,5,9,12,&18
volts and it is as bright and shiny as when I started. I intend to continue
this study at 27v and 37 volts. there is something very strange about the
very narrow spacing, so far the CS's have had very, very weak T.E. and the pH
is close to neutral.

When I used the curved plate at 2" spacing and 37 volts it became dark but it
was not silver oxide but rather silver peroxide that has to be removed with a
scrubby.

I generally put a shoe lace on the cathode to trap most of the sludge.

For stirring I use a Radio Shack 11/2" volt motor with 3 ohms in one lead of
a "D" battery to slow it down so it doesn't throw water everywhere. I
personally prefer a rapid stir with cavitations at the stirrer. If I don't
then the metering during the run is way off track.  The actual stirrer is a
3" piece of #14 house wire where I have removed about 1/4" of copper from one
end and that end will push on to the motor. The other end has a 15 deg bend
about 3/4" from the end. Cheap and simple. Glue the motor to the cell lid.

"Ole Bob"