[He's the only other person I know of. He actually made a batch of yellow at MY house with his water a while back. Unfortunately we didn't try one with my water and his generator...time constraints or something.]

A number of volitile chemicals will make it through a distiller. Have you tried discarding the first cup or so?
Ode [Ken]

At 09:41 AM 9/28/2003 -0600, you wrote:

Well,
I'm still getting CS that is either clear or very slight straw color at shut off, but gains color steadily after that, no matter if left if the brew jar or decanted into a clean storage bottle. I'm finding that if there is any color to it at all it continues to get more and more color in storage, while if it is perfectly clear at about 72 hours it will stay clear in storage.........
My DW measures .3 to .8 uS with my PWT (and I have checked the calibration of the meter--it appears to be spot on), I have cleaned my brew jar(s) by every method I've ever read on this list, rinsed them umpteen times iwth distilled water, replaced brew jars, and on and on. Kept detailed records till I'm sick of it, and I still get yellow CS..........Every once in a while I get a clear batch--maybe one batch in 12 or even 20.........I'm beginning to think I should turn this upside down and try to find out why it ever comes out clear......stopping the process earlier does not seem to make much if any difference, I've got CS of quite low ppm that is yellow, and one batch of 16.9 uS that stayed clear.....
This has been driving me nuts since I started making CS. I have 3 different generators now, and get yellow CS with all of them, with the very, very rare clear batch......
If there is contaminant in my DW that doesn't show in uS on the PWT, I don't know what it is or what it could be.....I am thinking its environmental maybe even unique to my house....but I can't figure out what, I'm now noting the time of day when I start a batch and charting that to see if that is a factor.....and I'm checking out my cleaning products (I use vinegar and peroxide to clean kitchen counters etc---) and will now use only CS spray to see if that might be the cause.....
Should say, I am now home-distilling my own DW, as I thought that ozone in commercial DW might be the problem.....it wasn't.....
paula
southwest wyoming
----- Original Message -----
From: <mailto:coyote...@earthlink.net>Ode Coyote

I've repeatedly used Food Lion water at 4.5 uS and gotten clear CS with
the silverpuppy gen, so, it's not necessarily the higher initial
conductivity that kicks a batch into going yellow but what the higher
conductivity is caused by. [ie, not so much the contamination itself, but
what the contaminant is]

Of course, water without any contaminants won't contain one that will kick
the batch.

Ode