A while back my ex had a conjestive cough that kept her awake for several days.
She would actually cough till she turned blue and almost passed out.
We tried just about every over the counter drug there was including those with codeine...no luck at all.

Then I loaded a pipe with a pinch of pot and told her to take one [count it] one mouthful of smoke and inhale as deep as possible and hold it.
She never smokes pot. [Nor do I make a habit of it..something like a gram a year]

The result?
Her eyes got wide and she asked, "Does it work instantly?!!!"
Well, heck, I dunno..does it?

She had a one fit of coughing and when it stopped, she went to sleep and was OK from then on.

The substance does dry up the lungs, sinuses and mouth, hence, the infamous "cottonmouth"

As for asthmatics:
Studies show that many people are helped by light useage of marijuana, but that some people find it to increase the discomfort of an attack.

Incidently, I understand that pot also lowers blood sugar which is why you get the "munchies"
Ode