At 08:56 AM 10/27/03 -0500, you wrote:

Malcolm Stebbins wrote:
Marshall; Like it or not, it is you who are incorrect. I would refer you to any Motors Manual or Chilton's for a description of the standard and the transistorized or capacitive discharge systems of auto ignition. For a good textbook on the subject I'd recommend The Automobile Electrical System 2nd Ed. by Barr, Randolph R. and Thomas D. Flocco. Chilton Book Company; Radnor, PA.

Who said anything about a transistorized system? I was talking about an old spark coil, from something like a 1960's car.

I.E., "Conventional System" Try reading the post and the suggested material, for a change. BTW, it was you who introjected the CD system as being similar to a high voltage pulser, hence by faulty analogy that the 300 + volts from a strobe discharge would produce no more than the 12 volts from an automobile battery.

Short form: In the conventional or breaker-point ignition system the primary voltage generated by the rapid collapse of the primary winding's magnetic field is approximately 200 to 300 volts; this collapse is considerably more rapid than the originating field buildup, hence the higher voltage.
OK, that is exactly what I was saying. That when the points open there is a rapid collapse in the field that generates a voltage of serveral hundred volts, and that is what gets coupled to the secondary for the spark.
The ignition coil is a transformer of approximately 100 to 1 turns ratio, thus 20,000 to 30,000 volts is induced in the secondary winding,
Once again exactly what I said.

On the contrary, you said 50,000 to 100,000 secondary volts was induced by a primary pulse of 1,000 volts, which was in turn generated by the collapse of a field generated by virtue of a 12 volt EMF.

which is more than sufficient to produce a spark at the spark plug. Under normal conditions of rapid cycling of this system to supply ignition, and the generation of considerable heat in the coil and under the hood, the system was just about at it's upper functional limit. The Transistorized and/or "capacitive discharge" systems were a sorely needed improvement which relieved the distributor points of massive intermittent loads and arcing due to back EMF, leaving them the much easier duty of signalling a transistor or SCR to turn on and off the current to the coil's primary winding. This they could do even more rapidly than the opening points did, producing higher primary collapse voltages up to 350. Eventually points were replaced entirely by optical or magnetic signalling devices which didn't wear - thus the 50,000 mile tuneup and considerably more accurate and competent ignition.
So the transistor ignition works the same way as the stand one, so I am even correct for it as well.

About as "correct" as you have been so far . . . . . . in neither of these systems has the primary field collapse generated anything like the 1,000 volt pulse you posited.

There are no automotive ignition systems running 50,000 to 100,000 volts; not only is there no need for such a dangerous level, the corona discharge initiated by such would be extremely and rapidly destructive to the elements of the system, make the design of a distribution system for the spark considerably larger, more difficult and expensive, generate a great deal more RF interference, and be an absolute bear to keep functional in damp weather.
OK, so I am a little high on the output voltage. That was not what the message was about, it was givin the information that you just gave above, that the turns ratio is only about 100:1, and that the spark is generated when the points break, not when they make.

Oddly enough, the message you wrote was about the information you wrote, and the response I gave was about your errors in that message; your reply to that was to state that I was incorrect. On the contrary, both strictly regarding the elements in my response and your description of the conventional ignition system generally, it was - and is - you who are incorrect; - get it straight! You have suggested that dropping 300 volts through this conventional system is the same as dropping 12 volts through it, and by implication that it would be perfectly all right to inflict the consequences of this ignorant endeavor on oneself or another human - That was what your message was about. I'd STRONGLY suggest that you try it on yourself first; perhaps the mismatched parameters of the systems will limit the outcome to a bearable level.

The systems described did not rely on "leakage inductance";
OK, I just checked definitions, and I guess what I meant was primary inductace. They sure called it leakage inductance when I was at the University. <http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/xformer_des/xformer.htm>http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/xformer_des/xformer.htm

Since the link doesn't seem to work, I can't comment on what you were taught, other than to say that the definitions I use are and have been the standard, and well understood for longer than you or I have been alive.

perhaps you meant to say mutual-inductance and self-inductance. Leakage inductance is undesirable transfer out of the system of energy which escapes to the surrounding environment, degrading both the system and the environment. Leakage inductance does not contribute much at all to the 'time constant' in a decently designed system except by a tiny lowering of the circuit "Q"; the self-inductance of the primary winding retarded both its field buildup and collapse, and generated the 'back-EMF' that caused the points to arc and wear rapidly. One role of the condenser placed across the points was to absorb enough of this back EMF peak to discourage such arcing; another was to provide a resonant tank for multiple spark discharge (aka MSD,) in certain newer designs.
OK, primary inductance.

The inductance of the primary of the coil is expressed in two forms, the mutual inductance between the primary and secondary windings, and the self inductance of the primary's field upon itself.

The point, which you seem intent on ignoring, is that if you energize a transformer designed to accept the primary current driven through it by 12 volts and instead dump the current through it that can be forced by 300 volts, you will generate a considerably greater field. When that field collapses it will induce a much higher secondary voltage - quite possibly lethally higher, and certainly far beyond 'your' expectations.

Marshall

Take care,  Malcolm