That CS will kill both came out of research I had done at UT on CS
effectiveness.

As far as switching between them see:

http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C11/C11Links/www.sp.uconn.edu/~terry/229sp00/lectures/catabolism2.html

When fertilized soils become flooded, oxygen is rapidly depleted, pseudomonads
switch to anaerobic respiration and can use up soil nitrate, leaving field in
unfertile state.

http://www.sou.edu/biology/courses/bi214/lect6.htm

Organisms that are capable of aerobic respiration generally grow more quickly
than organisms that are solely fermentative. Some organisms are flexible; they
carry out aerobic respiration when oxygen is available, and switch to
fermentation or anaerobic respiration when it is not.

http://textbookofbacteriology.net/nutgro.html

Facultative anaerobes (or facultative aerobes) are organisms that can switch
between aerobic and anaerobic types of
metabolism. Under anaerobic conditions (no O2) they grow by fermentation or
anaerobic respiration, but in the presence of O2
they switch to aerobic respiration.

Group                          Aerobic
Aaerobic           O2 Effect
 Obligate Aerobe         Growth                          No growth  Required
(utilized for aerobic respiration)
 Microaerophile      Growth if level not too high No growth  Required but at
levels below 0.2 atm
 Obligate Anaerobe  No growth                        Growth        Toxic
 Facultative Anaerobe
(Facultative Aerobe)     Growth                        Growth          Not
required for growth but utilized when available
 Aerotolerant Anaerobe Growth                       Growth           Not
required and not utilized

Marshall