Using 6 volts keeps the current down and slows run away. [It'll
eventually catch up to 27 volt levels]
 Less current = more time. Less PPM per minute per minute over a given
time. [Not a typo]

 The voltage isn't important.
 Distance between the electrodes and  electrode size alters the current
draw at a given voltage.
 You can keep current constant by moving the electrodes further and further
apart..even calibrate the results on a ruler.

Ode