sol wrote:
  >Wasn't it you who mentioned corn allergy? If so, I'd very much like to
know how you became really certain you were allergic to it. Did you have
tests or do an elimination diet, or what? <

Yep that was me.

It started by realizing that despite my claims of having gotten rid of all
my allergies, I occasionally woke up at night unable to breathe through my
nose.

One of the most blessed things about being able to breathe through your nose
is being able to sleep good. Breathing through my mouth while sleeping never
fails to wake me up whether from dry mouth or drooling.

I eliminated everything I could think of. It had nothing to do with sleeping
with windows open or closed, heat on or AC on. Nothing to do with my pillows
or bedding, because I keep it all very clean and disinfected, but it wasn't
the cleaners or disinfectants. I have two pillows, I switch them weekly and
lay them out in the sun to kill dustmites.

I sleep on a Crock device which in general helps keep my sinuses clear, but
this phenomenon would occasionally exceed the limits of the Crock Device.

A few months ago I was ready to try some new things for my health. I had
long eaten raw wild honey but had never taken "bee pollen". I bought some
from herbalcom.com.

I took a spoonful one evening. That night I awoke at 3AM with the most
godawful allergy attack of my life. After it woke me it rapidly intensified
within 5 minutes until I seriously feared for my ability to breathe and was
just about to call 911. Just then, before I could get to the phone, it broke
and went away just as rapidly as it had come. The entire episode was over in
15 minutes.

A few days later I ate a bait of corn chips and awoke that night with an
attack but not nearly so serious. A few more days and it was yellow corn for
supper. That time I was 100 miles from home so it sure wasn't anything in my
house.

When I got back home I smelled of that bee pollen- it was corn alright. Bee
pollen is commercially available from commercial bee keepers who rent out
their hives to pollinate large farm crops. They place screens at the front
of the hives that force the returning bees to shake pollen off of their legs
before entering the hives. When you buy bulk bee pollen you are going to get
whatever pollen was from whatever crop that was being pollinated that day. I
got corn.

Elimination diet is what I did, along with testing for being able to eat
small quantities of corn chips. If I eat them late, I'll have a problem that
night. If I eat a few at lunch I'm OK. I don't eat whole corn anymore. I
don't need the starch anyway.

DB