Some people do have H. Pylori infections in the stomach. So the stomach doesn't get all of them all the time in all people. In addition to acids the (protein?) digesting enzymes must get rid of a lot of the "pathogens" we ingest. Again, not likely all of them. It does seem to me from my reading that the bacteria, yeasts, fungi, and viruses we consider pathogens are a lot tougher than the probiotic spp people take deliberately, which is why I drink a large glass of CS when it becomes obvious that I have eaten something that is causing GI distress. Pathogens are also a normal part of everything, likely a balance as you say, and only a problem when they get too numerous. Diarrhea is the body flushing out the "bad" bacteria or whatever, but most of us prefer to short-circuit that plan and help get rid of the pathogens without suffering the body's natural means.

Milk left out at room temp will spoil, bacteria we don't want will quickly multiply and make a mess of the milk, and would probably make you sick or give you diarrhea if you drank it, once it really got rotten. But to make yogurt or sour milk that is good to drink requires careful culturing (usually): the instructions I have call for heating the milk to kill off the bacteria that make milk spoil, and then innoculating the milk with L. Acidophilus or other bacterial culture, then keeping the milk in the ideal temperature range for those beneficial bacteria to grow. Once the milk is turned into yogurt with a good population of Acidophilus, it is more resistant to spoiling, but if left out of refrigeration or even with refrigeration, the spoilage bacteria and molds will eventually overcome the culture bacteria, and you will sooner or later get spoiled milk.

Perhaps something analogous takes place in the digestive tract? I have read a lot of info that purports to give the "why" that probiotics help, but nothing really convincing to me. I take more seriously the studies that conclude they don't survive the gut, but do help for unknown reasons. I have pet rabbits, and though none of the probiotic bacteria commonly sold for human or animal use is a normal GI tract inhabitant of a rabbit gut (rabbit digestive bacteria are mostly Bacteriodes spp), in cases of clostridium overgrowth or other dysbiosis, probiotics are given as they are believed to help until the rabbit's normal GI bacteria can re-populate. Most antibiotics given orally to a rabbit will kill the rabbit, mainly by killing off the rabbit's normal GI bacteria, while*not* killing clostridium, then the clostridium multiplies rapidly and kills the bunny. Or the rabbit is fed too many starches, which cause the clostridia to overgrow, as that species thrives on starches. (Interestingly I found two articles that state that actual sugars, as in fruit, do not stimulate clostridial growth as much as grain starches). From my "family Medical Guide" "A large part of the feces is composed of bacteria, along with indegestible material, chiefly cellulose, and substances eliminated from the blood and shed from the intestinal walls." Sounds like the beneficial "flora" of the colon amounts to a LOT of bacteria. FWIW, no one that I know of disputes the demonstrable fact that the human colon is inhabited by beneficial and pathogenic bacteria, and that the state one wants to have is plenty of beneficial spp, and few pathogens. My dispute is only when it is said that beneficial bacteria in the colon have something to do with digestion, as digestion does not take place in the colon.
My 25 cents,
sol

Yogiboy wrote:

Can someone please explain to me then, when eating something bad why
doesn't the stomach kill off the bad bacteria if infact no bacteria gets
into the intestines.? I mean, whether stomach flu or food poisoning,
anyone will tell u they make frequent washroom visits..and we all know
its not pleasant. How does this occurance come about? If the stomach
acids are so strong as to neutralize "ANY" bacteria, we wouldn't be
having this problem would we? So bacteria does make it to the lower
digestive organs.