From: Andy Gill
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:00:39
http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m79505.html

  > 1. IS 30-volts the optimum?

  With a  conventional constant current generator,  the  maximum ionic
  concentration the cell can produce is determined by  which electrode
  has the highest current density.

  This means  anything  that concentrates the current,  such  as sharp
  bends or  the cut ends of the rods, will  generally  start producing
  silver hydroxide  first.  This limits the  maximum  concentration of
  silver ions  you can achieve. At low current density,  the  limit is
  reached when silver ions start to plate out on the cathode.

  In either  case,  the cell voltage stops  decreasing  and  reaches a
  plateau. This  tells  you all the ions liberated  at  the  anode are
  combining to  form silver hydroxide or plating out  at  the cathode,
  and no further increase in ion concentration is possible.

  You can  improve  things by bending the elecrode into  a  "U" shape,
  such as  in  the silverpuppy, or a "W" shape  as  some  members use.
  Perhaps the  ultimate  in this direction  is  the  minimum curvature
  stove spiral  used in my Godzilla generator,  which  produces 21.5uS
  cs, or 21.5ppm ionic:

    http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m62053.html

  Ivan Anderson  beat this with a simple 9V generator to get  26uS. He
  noted the  conductivity  continued  to rise  after  the  current was
  stopped:

    http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m14498.html

  However, Trem  Williams  SG7 generator  easily  surpasses  this with
  45uS, and in the never-ending ionic arms race, my double  chamber cs
  generator is even higher (but I don't really know how much):

    http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m78983.html

  Generally, the  maximum  desirable   current  density  is  stated as
  1mA/sq.in. The silverpupply runs at 625uA/sq.in., and  my generators
  tend to  run below 100uA/sq.in. These numbers assume the  current is
  uniform over  the  entire  wetted area of  the  electrode,  which is
  seldom true.

  The cell  current is the current density times the wetted  area. The
  voltage needed to pass this current is determined by Ohm's law:

    E = I * R

  The cell resistance is highest at the beginning of the brew,  so the
  current source  must  be  able to  supply  enough  voltage  to avoid
  saturation.

  For example,  if the initial cell resistance is 30,000 ohms,  and an
  operating current  of 1 ma is desired, the voltage  across  the cell
  is:

    E = I * R
      = 1e-3 * 30000
      = 30V

  If the  current source cannot supply this voltage, it  will saturate
  and only  supply as much voltage as it can. This means  you  have to
  wait until the cell conductance increases enough to pull the current
  source out of saturation.

  The information  above is for constant current  generators,  but the
  generator shown  in  your   link   is  actually  a  constant voltage
  generator, similar  to  the  original   3  nines  described  by Mark
  Metcalf. You  can tell by the two batteries shown in the  photo, and
  the miniature bulb used to limit the short-circuit current to 40mA.

  When a  constant voltage is supplied to a cell,  the  current starts
  out quite low and increases exponentially. This means  nothing seems
  to happen for a long time, then the current rises very  quickly. You
  must be  on  your toes to turn the current off  before  the  brew is
  ruined. Examples  of the current vs time graphs for 18 and  27 volts
  are shown on my Shingles page (caution graphic photos)

    http://www.geocities.com/mrmonett/shingles/0shin.htm

  A 3 nines cs generator will normally produce 5 to 10uS cs,  which is
  certainly usable,  but not the best. However there are  a  number of
  flaws in the Gaia design which may limit the ion  concentration even
  more.

  1. The  voltage is raised from 27 volts to 30 volts. This  means the
  exponential rise happens faster, and you have to be quicker  to stop
  the brew before it is ruined.

  2. The electrodes are very short. If they are 12 ga, a pixel scaling
  measurement in  Photoshop  indicates the electrodes  may  be  only 3
  inches long.  It  appears  that  much of this  is  taken  up  in the
  terminal block and the air space to the surface of the water, so the
  wetted area  is quite small. This increases the current  density and
  the electrodes  start  forming silver hydroxide sooner,  as  in this
  photo:

    http://www.utopiasilver.com/images/gen3.jpg

  3. The electrodes are very close together. A scaling  measurement in
  Photoshop indicates they may only be 1/4 inch apart.

  This helps  increase the initial current, which  decreases  the brew
  time. But it increases the apparent curvature of the  electrodes, so
  the production of silver oxide starts sooner than normal. An example
  of the effect of close electrode spacing is shown in my proof of the
  insolubility of silver hydroxide, at

    http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m79117.html

  and

    http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m78851.html

  Due to  the  close  electrode spacing,  black  silver  oxide started
  forming almost  as  soon as current was  applied.  So  the extremely
  close spacing  of  the Gaia will definitely  reduce  the  maximum uS
  reading you can get.

  As far  as  the information on the rest of the page, most  of  it is
  pure technobabble and not worth comment.

  If you were to buy a generator, I'd go for the silverpuppy as a much
  better purchase. And if I had the money, I'd get a SG7 from Trem.

Mike Monett