Another perspective - I was treating a child about 8 and thyroid presented
as an issue.  Specific hormones were addressed with connections to many
other areas of the body.  I shared the hormone info with the mother who
exclaimed 'I've been on synthyroid for 10 years - before this child was
born'.  The older ones are not hyper.  Note: This is not a study - it's
private practice.

Two weeks later, the teacher asked the child 'What's up?'  The child did not
know what she referred to.  Paraphrasing I was told the teacher identified
that the child had not been out of her desk in two days since returning from
Easter break, had not disrupted the class, bugged other students, did her
homework, was paying attention and asking questions, and generally not the
severe ADD/ADHD behaviours that had plagued her the past 3 years of school.

The house rule of survival for all was that she not be in the same room as
her brother has been lifted --- they now study together.  Mom & Dad have
even took her to a meeting of an 1hr and she did not interrupt once.  She's
listening and holding to the suggested behaviour guidelines now.

In my experience the root of what looks like ADD/ADHD may be beyond where
science conventionally looks.  The only important issue in these people's
lives is greater harmony in the family and at school.

Christine