Diatomaceous earth does work for certain applications.  I got mine at Major
Surplus in Hawthorne, southern California.  I was told to add one half cup to a
five gallon pail of grains to be stored and stir.  One year later when I
turned the grains (wheat lasts forever if oxygenated once a year, and protected
from bugs, moisture, light and heat, and the kernels from the pyramids still
sprout!) there were no bugs.  When I put this stuff in my woodpile to keep out
black widows it was also completely effective. I put a black widow in a jar of
this stuff and it croaked.  It was explained to me that bugs have an
exoskeleton for protection, but also to prevent dehydration.  When they come in
contact
with the diatomaceous earth it dries them out, and they croak!  Sorry, I can't
remember the brand name of the product, but I'll bet the company is still
there and still selling it.  The owner of the DE company had the product tested
for mineral content; he takes a half teaspoonful on his cereal for a mineral
supplement every morning.  We also sprayed it in the attic to keep the bugs
down.  I am thinking the garden would be another application--just dust it on
plants.  It would wash away with rain or watering, though. It is not dangerous
have around, can be used in the kitchen, and is not harmful to pets.

Jill