A major part of the confusion about the topic of
silver toxicity comes from not differentiating between
one form of silver and another or one method of
preparation and another. It reminds me of the study (a
spoof) in which a group of men were first given whisky
and water, then gin and water and then vermouth and
water. In every case the men got drunk, which led the
scientists to conclude that water made you drunk.

Unless clear distinction is made between
ionic/colloidal silver (CS) and all other forms of
silver preparations, we are talking apples and
oranges. The reason why CS is safe is for several
reasons. One, the quantity of actual silver ingested
is so very low, especially compared to the amounts
mentioned in the scientific reports of argyria.

Second, if made correctly, the particle size is so
very small that it simply does not accumulate in the
body like the large-particle silver salts and
proteins.

Third, there is no consideration given by the
scientific community to differing
accumulation/excretion rates of different forms of
silver. The primary mechanism that has been at all
acknowledged as causing silver to accumulate in the
human body is the fact that large silver particles
(compounds, salts, proteins) can accumulate in, as an
example, the skin, because these particles get
caught/lodged in the capillaries of the skin, being
too large to get through. It is a recognized fact that
silver joined to other substances (proteins, minerals,
etc.) produce very large particles. On the other hand,
*colloidal* silver particles range in size from
1/7,000th to 1/15,000th the size of a red blood cell,
making the idea of them getting “stuck” in the
capillaries rather ludicrous.

Fourth, the issue of accumulation/excretion. Does
any/every form of silver (protein, salt, colloidal,
ionic) accumulate in the human body at the same rate?
Or even at all? Roger Altman’s medically supervised
study demonstrated that clear, very tiny particle size
CS did not accumulate in the human body whatsoever,
even when ingested in voluminous quantities (quarts
per day). This is not at all true of silver nitrate or
silver arsphemamine.

All of the studies appear to operate on the assumption
that all forms of silver accumulate in the body,
whatever the form or however fast the ingestion. But
this must be taken into consideration, else estimates
of quantities leading to argyria are meaningless. If I
ingest one gram of silver (Which silver? What form?)
over a period of one week or one year, does that make
a difference? Altman’s study demonstrates clearly that
it does, at least concerning colloidal silver. Yet
even the toxicology statistics discuss the methods of
silver excretion (recognizing that the body does make
an effort to dispose of extra or unnecessary silver).
If the body does indeed excrete silver, wouldn’t this
affect accumulation rates? Obviously, if I ingest one
gram of silver over a thirty-year period or if I do it
in one day, that would be very significant. Yet none
of the studies or statistics seem to comment on that
important dynamic. Historically, we know that members
of Europe’s royalty mechanically ground up silver into
powder, stirred it into water or wine and drank it to
protect themselves from sickness. How much larger
would the smallest ground-up particles be than the
largest particles found in electronically isolated
colloidal silver? A thousand times bigger? 10,000
times? A million times? Some colloidal particles are
so small they can pass through glass.

When CS is prepared in improper ways, the particles
become very large and the amount of silver in the
preparation increases significantly.

Even the reports that identify “colloidal silver” as
the culprit do not examine the brewing process or the
components of the preparation. Did they use tap water?
Was it Fine silver or Sterling silver? How long was it
brewed? What color was the CS? (In other words, what
size were the particles?)

Stan Jones acquired a faint bluish tinge under his
eyes, but he made 8 ounces of CS using city tap water
and brewed it for one hour. His CS would have looked
like coffee, and he drank the whole 8 ounces each day!
This was not Colloidal Silver, much less ionic silver.
It was a sludge of silver compounds created by the
interaction of the silver with the chemicals/minerals
in the water.

The scientific references to cases of argyria caused
by “colloidal silver” do not impress me, given the way
most scientists fail to differentiate between various
forms of silver solutions/treatments, nor to even
consider the principles of silver
accumulation/excretion.

“Intravenous administration of an estimated total dose
of 4-20 g silver arsphemamine over a 2- to 9.75-year
period caused argyria in humans. Argyria developed
after a total dose of 4-8 g in some patients, while in
others argyria did not develop until after a total
dose of 10-20 g (Gaul and Straud, 1935).”
http://risk.lsd.ornl.gov/tox/profiles/silver_f_V1.shtml

The above is quoted from a gov’t website, and no, they
don’t estimate total dosage at 3.8 grams, they start
at 4 grams or more.

“Argyria, a characteristic and irreversible gray or
blue-gray discoloration of the skin and mucous
membranes, has been observed in individuals that have
ingested both metallic silver and silver compounds in
small doses over periods of months or years. Argyria,
both generalized or localized, has resulted from such
uses as antismoking lozenges containing silver
acetate, breath mints coated with silver, silver
nitrate solutions for the treatment of gum disease,
and silver nitrate capsules for relief of
gastrointestinal discomfort (ATSDR, 1990; Stokinger,
1981).”

No colloidal silver here.

“The estimated total dose required to induce argyria
by ingestion is in the range of 1-30 g for soluble
silver salts (Nordberg and Gerhardsson, 1988).”

OK, now we’re down to merely 1 gram, but 1 gram of
what? Silver protein? Silver salts? The article only
mentions these, not colloids. “The estimated total
dose…” Over what period? In your whole life? All at
once? This statement is meaningless. It can only have
any meaning if absolutely none of the silver is
excreted from the body, an idea these same scientists
have refuted by discussing the various avenues that
silver actually is excreted.

Now, in fact, this study did say that “an estimated
total dose of 4-20 g silver arsphemamine over a 2- to
9.75-year period caused argyria in humans.” Comments I
have read that “as little as 1 gram cumulative dose
caused a case of argyria but seemed to conclude that
something closer to 1.84 grams cumulative dose (the
amount of silver in 8 grams of silver arsphenamine)
was likely to cause argyria.  That’s cumulative ­ not
per day!!” The person who said this, like the
scientists, makes no differentiation between one form
of silver and another, nor considers the probability
of differing accumulation/excretion rates between one
form and another.

I refer to Altman’s study because, to my knowledge, no
other study of accumulation/excretion rates in humans
has even been performed by anyone else. Rats, mice,
dogs and monkeys they know about, but they have no
comment about humans. All the animals excrete at least
90% of the silver, 94% if orally ingested.

One critic also said, “Furthermore, the EPA gave LOW
CONFIDENCE to its reference dose, because it simply
didn’t have enough studies. I think if you’re telling
people what’s established as safe, you ought to point
out that even your source is skeptical of its own
work!” “Our own source” is not the EPA or any other
gov’t agency, because they do not examine nor test nor
even consider true colloidal silver. Notice this next:

“ATSDR (1990) reports that the deposition of silver in
tissues is the result of the precipitation of
insoluble silver salts, such as silver chloride and
silver phosphate.” OK, we know that ATSDR (1990) is
discussing “insoluble silver salts”, so we know what
they actually mean when they next say this, “The acute
toxicity of silver compounds appears to be high. Oral
LD50 values for mice reported for colloidal silver and
silver nitrate are 100 mg/kg and 129 mg/kg,
respectively..” When they say, “colloidal silver”,
they are referring to large-particle silver salts and
compounds, NOT tiny-particle silver colloids made from
Fine silver and distilled water. Their refusal to
differentiate between the two is both unscientific and
irresponsible, and demonstrates a prejudice in the
scientific community that would not be put up with
about any other exact science.

If we did want to refer to a gov’t agency as “our
source”, we would refer to the FDA, who cannot find a
single report of any kind of toxic or negative
reaction to pure, electronically isolated CS.

Then there’s a last hypocrisy that needs attention.
The opponents of silver and CS must scour the
literature to find any evidence that the product we
are so enthusiastic about might actually be harmful in
any way, and the evidence they do find is rare and
suspect at best, non-existent at worst. But let’s say
that there a couple or even a dozen cases that
indicate that folks who overdose on silver (although,
again, which silver?), turn gray or whatever. So what?
300+ people every YEAR die from aspirin overdose, and
it is available without prescription, and what actual
health benefit does aspirin give anyone? How many
people each year die from prescription drugs, yet they
are freely available. To have to diligently search to
even find what might be a problem with silver, while
steadfastly ignoring the slaughter that is all around
us is the height of hypocrisy, in my opinion.

Finally, there is a great need to agree on the same
vocabulary. We use the word “colloidal” to refer to
very small particles of silver that floating around in
the water. These particles are not dissolved into the
water, they are suspended in the water, and held in
suspension by their identical charge, which makes them
repel each other like two north ends of two magnets.
So far, that is the same way the scientific community
uses that word (or pretty much), except that general
science uses the word "colloidal" to refer to
solutions we would never call "colloidal", such as
silver compounds and proteins.

We use the word “ionic” to refer to particles that are
so small that they are considered to be dissolved into
the water, like a teaspoon of sugar stirred into a
glass of water. Colloids can fall out of suspension
and sink to the bottom (from light, or magnetism, or
freezing), but we do not believe that “ionic”
particles behave in that way. We use these arbitrary
definitions because science does not give us words or
terms that differentiate between particles in
suspension and particles in solution, except to say
“particles in suspension and particles in solution”.

We differentiate between “colloidal” silver and every
other form of silver because we believe that is the
difference between safe and unsafe silver. In fact,
the properties of silver and its affects upon the
human body change considerably as the size decreases,
and as it becomes pure (not joined to other
substances). Dr. Robert Demling is the first I have
seen who identifies these property changes:

http://www.cesil.com/leaderforchemist/articoli/inglese/7demlinging/7demlinging.htm

“Silver has been used for centuries to prevent and
treat a variety of diseases, most notably infections.
It has been well documented that silver coins were
used in ancient Greece and Rome as a disinfectant for
the storage of water and other liquids. (1,2) More
recently, NASA still uses silver to maintain water
purity on the space shuttle. Silver has extremely
potent antimicrobial properties, as only one part per
100 million of elemental silver is an effective
antimicrobial in a solution. Free silver ions, or
radicals, are known to be the active antimicrobial
agent. In order to achieve a bactericidal effect,
silver ions must be available in solution at the
bacterial surface. Efficacy depends on the aqueous
concentration of these ions. Silver ions appear to
kill micro-organisms instantly by blocking the
respiratory enzyme system (energy production), as well
as altering microbe DNA and the cell wall, while
having no toxic effect on human cells in vivo.

“Silver in solution has been used as an antimicrobial
for wound management for nearly a century. However,
crystalline silver is quite insoluble in water and in
dilute acids making the available silver cation
concentration, inadequate for use as an antimicrobial
on a wound surface. Beginning in the 1920’s, a small
electrical charge was passed thru water and silver
crystals in order to obtain an effective silver
(electro-colloidal) ion solution to be used topically
on wounds. The charged silver solutions
(electro-colloidal) were approved in the 1920’s by the
FDA for use as an antibacterial agent.(3) Some wound
centers still use these solutions although silver ions
in solution are quite unstable. In addition, to its
recognized antibacterial properties, beginning with
the electro-colloidal elemental form, silver solutions
have been reported to improve the healing of “indolent
wounds” and to “regenerate damaged tissue”. The
description of decreased rubor in wounds also reflects
an anti-inflammatory property of silver.

“More recent information has provided, at least a
hypotheses as to the mechanism of silver’s pro-healing
and anti-inflammatory effects. Initial literature
reports on the use of pure silver, mainly in the
electro-colloidal form, occurred prior to the 1940’s
when pure silver was still being used. After 1940 a
host of systemic antibiotics became prevalent,
decreasing the use of silver except as a topical
agent. During this transition, silver was complexed as
a salt (e.g. silver nitrate and silver sulfadiazine)
or other compound (e.g. silver protein) to increase
the available silver ion concentration. These silver
complexes remain a popular topical antimicrobial agent
for the care of wounds. Silver itself is considered to
be non-toxic to human cells in vivo.(4) The only
reported complication is the cosmetic abnormality
argyria caused by precipitation of silver salts in the
skin and leading to a blue-gray color.(2)

“The property of matter depends on size and many of
the chemical and physical characteristics change
significantly when matter is reduced in size.11,12
Nanotechnology is a general term that refers to a
relatively new frontier of scientific endeavor. The
prefix “nano” signifies one-billionth. Therefore, a
nanometer is one-billionth of a meter, a nanogram is
one-billionth of a gram. Ten hydrogen atoms placed
side by side measures one nanometer in length. Silver
crystals sputtered under normal vapor deposit
conditions result in tightly adherent crystals of
100-900nm in diameter (Figure 1). Decreasing crystal
volume by nanotechnology markedly increases the
exposed surface area of the crystal (Figure 2) which
increases the available surface for chemical reactions
to take place over a shorter time period. Decreasing
the particle size will also, in general, change the
physical/chemical properties of the material. Examples
of changed properties resulting from nano-sized
metals, include increased superconductivity and
increased optical and electrical properties.
Nanosizing can also lead to a more economical
utilization of expensive materials-meaning that can
use less material because the reactions are more
efficient. Although not yet specifically defined, it
is clear that some of the properties of silver in a
nanocrystal are quite different than the typical
crystal.(11-15) A large portion of the silver is
available as grain or interphase boundaries,
considered by some to be a new form of matter.”

Although Dr. Demling is discussing a more specific
type of “CS” than we produce, he is establishing the
concepts of differing forms of silver behaving in
different ways. The above quotes are a part of his
commentary.

Although we are not making “nanotechnology” CS, we are
making something far different, and far safer, than
the clumsy, chemicalized substances that doctors have
utilized in the past, and by which they try to judge
the safety/effectiveness of what we make.

The similarity between silver nitrate, silver
arsphemamine and other insoluble silver salts is about
like the similarity between a novel and the movie.
They both have the same title, but that’s about it.

Terry Chamberlin

http://mail.yahoo.com