This is the first of two halves of my post, as it is
too big for one post. The second is following
immediately.

The trouble with discussing inhaling silver
"particles" is that that very word conjures a picture
of chunks of metal becoming clogged in the lungs. The
scientific definition of "colloidal" is particles of
something too big to pass through the lining of a cell
wall (among other factors). We attempt to
differentiate between silver particles that are
colloidal and particles that are small enough to
easily pass through cell walls. We call these smaller
particles "ionic", even though the use of the word in
that way is not scientifically accurate. In truth,
some colloidal particles are small enough to pass
through glass, and some ionic particles are huge
(mayonnaise could be considered ionic).

I cannot find terms in the scientific vocabulary to
help distinguish between these two, yet it is
important that we do. The discussion of silver
accumulating in various organs of the body must, by
definition, be concerned with COLLOIDAL particles,
i.e., particles too big to pass through a cell wall.
Particles of silver that are 1/7,000th to 1/15,000th
the size of a red blood cell (what we are calling
"ionic") would behave in totally different ways than
"colloidal" particles of silver, precisely because of
the size difference.

I posted a discussion of this awhile ago, but there
was a lively discussion of something else going on
(magnets, I think), and I saw no response to my post.

Let me try again. Here is my prior post:

A major part of the confusion about the topic of
silver toxicity comes from not differentiating between
one form of silver and another or one method of
preparation and another. It reminds me of the study (a
spoof) in which a group of men were first given whisky
and water, then gin and water and then vodka and
water. In every case the men got drunk, which led the
scientists to conclude that water made you drunk.

Unless clear distinction is made between
ionic/colloidal silver (EIS/CS) and all other forms of
silver preparations, we are talking apples and
oranges. The reason why CS is safe is for several
reasons. One, the quantity of actual silver ingested
is so very low, especially compared to the amounts
mentioned in the scientific reports of the occurrence
of argyria.

Second, if made correctly, the particle size is so
very small that it simply does not accumulate in the
body like the large-particle silver salts and
proteins.

Third, there is no consideration given by the
scientific community to differing
accumulation/excretion rates of different forms of
silver. The primary mechanism that has been at all
acknowledged as causing silver to accumulate in the
human body is the fact that large silver particles
(compounds, salts, proteins, even large colloids) can
accumulate in, as an example, the skin, because these
particles get caught/lodged in the capillaries of the
skin, being too large to pass through. It is a
recognized fact that silver joined to other substances
(proteins, minerals, etc.) produce very large
particles. On the other hand, *ionic-colloidal* (EIS)
silver particles range in size from 1/7,000th to
1/15,000th the size of a red blood cell, making the
idea of them getting “stuck” in the capillaries rather
ludicrous.

Fourth, the issue of accumulation/excretion. Does
any/every form of silver (protein, salt, colloid,
ionic) accumulate in the human body at the same rate?
Or even at all? Roger Altman’s medically supervised
study demonstrated that clear, very tiny particle size
CS did not accumulate in the human body whatsoever,
even when ingested in voluminous quantities (quarts
per day). This is not at all true of silver nitrate,
sulfadiazine or silver arsphemamine.

All of the studies appear to operate on the assumption
that all forms of silver accumulate in the body,
whatever the form, whatever the particle size or
however fast/slow the ingestion. But this must be
taken into consideration, else estimates of quantities
leading to argyria are meaningless. If I ingest one
gram of silver (Which silver? What form?) over a
period of one week or one year, does that make a
difference? Altman’s study demonstrates clearly that
it does, at least concerning colloidal silver. Yet
even the toxicology statistics discuss the methods of
silver excretion (recognizing that the body does make
an effort to dispose of extra or unnecessary silver).
If the body does indeed excrete silver, wouldn’t this
affect accumulation rates? Obviously, if I ingest one
gram of silver over a thirty-year period or if I do it
in one day, that would be very significant. Yet none
of the studies or statistics seem to comment much on
that important dynamic. Historically, we know that
members of Europe’s royalty mechanically ground up
silver into powder, stirred it into water or wine and
drank it to protect themselves from sickness. How much
larger would the smallest ground-up particles be than
the largest particles found in electronically isolated
colloidal silver? A thousand times bigger? 10,000
times? A million times? Some colloidal particles are
so small they can pass through glass. Argyria was such
a common occurrence among the royalty that it earned
them the name "blue-blood".

When CS is prepared in improper ways, the particles
become very large and the amount of silver in the
preparation increases significantly.

Even the reports that identify “colloidal silver” as
the culprit do not examine the brewing process or the
components of the preparation. Did they use tap water?
Was it Fine silver or Sterling silver? How long was it
brewed? What color was the CS? (In other words, what
size were the particles?) In these cases, the term
"colloidal" is scientifically accurate (using the
standard scientific definition), but wholly inadequate
for making any distinction between large or small
sized silver particles.

Stan Jones acquired a faint bluish tinge under his
eyes, but he made 8 ounces of CS using city tap water
and brewed it for one hour. His CS would have looked
like coffee, and he drank the whole 8 ounces each day!
This was not Colloidal Silver, much less ionic silver
(as we are defining them). It was a sludge of silver
compounds created by the interaction of the silver
with the chemicals/minerals in the water.

The scientific references to cases of argyria caused
by “colloidal silver” do not impress me, given the way
most scientists fail to differentiate between various
forms of silver solutions/treatments, nor to even
consider the principles of particle size or silver
accumulation/excretion.

“Intravenous administration of an estimated total dose
of 4-20 g silver arsphemamine over a 2- to 9.75-year
period caused argyria in humans. Argyria developed
after a total dose of 4-8 g in some patients, while in
others argyria did not develop until after a total
dose of 10-20 g (Gaul and Straud, 1935).”

http://risk.lsd.ornl.gov/tox/profiles/silver_f_V1.shtml

The above is quoted from a gov’t website, and they
start at 4 grams or more.

“Argyria, a characteristic and irreversible gray or
blue-gray discoloration of the skin and mucous
membranes, has been observed in individuals that have
ingested both metallic silver and silver compounds in
small doses over periods of months or years. Argyria,
both generalized or localized, has resulted from such
uses as antismoking lozenges containing silver
acetate, breath mints coated with silver, silver
nitrate solutions for the treatment of gum disease,
and silver nitrate capsules for relief of
gastrointestinal discomfort (ATSDR, 1990; Stokinger,
1981).”

No colloidal silver (EIS) here. The generalization of
"small doses" (whatever that means) and "months or
years" makes the above statement useless. The only
value in this statement is to identify silver nitrate
or acetate as something to avoid.

“The estimated total dose required to induce argyria
by ingestion is in the range of 1-30 g for soluble
silver salts (Nordberg and Gerhardsson, 1988).”

OK, now we’re down to "merely" 1 gram. The article
only mentions soluble silver salts, not colloids.
“The estimated total dose…” Over what period? In your
whole life? All at once? This statement is
meaningless. It can only have any meaning if
absolutely none of the silver is excreted from the
body, an idea these same scientists have refuted by
discussing the various avenues that silver actually is
excreted.

Now, in fact, this study did say that “an estimated
total dose of 4-20 g silver arsphemamine over a 2- to
9.75-year period caused argyria in humans.” One
comment someone made was that “as little as 1 gram
cumulative dose caused a case of argyria” but seemed
to conclude that something closer to 1.84 grams
cumulative dose (the amount of silver in 8 grams of
silver arsphenamine) was likely to cause argyria.
That’s cumulative,­ not per day!! The person who said
this, like the above quoted scientists, makes no
differentiation between one form of silver and
another, small or large particle size, or considers
the probability of differing accumulation/excretion
rates between one form and another.

I refer to Altman’s study because, to my knowledge, no
other study of accumulation/excretion rates in humans
has even been performed by anyone else. Rats, mice,
dogs and monkeys they know about, but they have little
comment about humans. All the animals excrete at least
90% of the silver, 94% if orally ingested.

One critic also said, “Furthermore, the EPA gave LOW
CONFIDENCE to its reference dose, because it simply
didn’t have enough studies. I think if you’re telling
people what’s established as safe, you ought to point
out that even your own source is skeptical of its own
work!” “Our own source” is not the EPA or any other
gov’t agency, because they do not examine nor test nor
even consider true colloidal/EIS silver. Notice this
next:

“ATSDR (1990) reports that the deposition of silver in
tissues is the result of the precipitation of
insoluble silver salts, such as silver chloride and
silver phosphate.” OK, we know that ATSDR (1990) is
discussing “insoluble silver salts”, so we know what
they actually mean when they next say this, “The acute
toxicity of silver compounds appears to be high. Oral
LD50 values for mice reported for colloidal silver and
silver nitrate are 100 mg/kg and 129 mg/kg,
respectively..” When they say, “colloidal silver”,
they are referring to large-particle silver salts and
compounds, NOT tiny-particle silver colloids made from
Fine silver and distilled water. Plus, 100 mg/kg is
interesting. 100 mg of what? Silver? Silver nitrate?
100 mg of silver is alot of silver, considering that
our doses, even when freely drinking our CS, is
usually measured in micrograms. Their refusal to
differentiate between the two is both unscientific and
irresponsible, and demonstrates a prejudice in the
scientific community that would not be put up with
about any other scientific inquiry.

If we did want to refer to a gov’t agency as “our
source”, we would refer to the FDA, who cannot find a
single report of any kind of toxic or negative
reaction to pure, electronically isolated CS.

Second part following.

http://mail.yahoo.com