From: Terry Chamberlin [mailto:tcj...@yahoo.ca]
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 10:20 AM
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: CS>

Then there’s a last hypocrisy that needs attention.
The opponents of silver and CS must scour the
literature to find any evidence that the product we
are so enthusiastic about might actually be harmful in
any way, and the evidence they do find is rare and
suspect at best, non-existent at worst. But let’s say
that there are a couple or even a dozen cases that
indicate that folks who overdose on silver (although,
again, which silver?), turn gray or whatever. So what?
300+ people every YEAR die from aspirin overdose, and
it is available without prescription, and what actual
health benefit does aspirin give anyone? How many
people each year die from prescription drugs, yet they
are freely available. To have to diligently search to
even find what might be a problem with silver, while
steadfastly ignoring the slaughter that is all around
us is the height of hypocrisy, in my opinion.

Finally, there is a great need to agree on the same
vocabulary. We use the word “colloidal” to refer to
very small particles of silver that are floating
around in the water. These particles are not dissolved
into the water, they are suspended in the water, and
held in suspension by their identical charge, which
makes them repel each other like two north ends of two
magnets. So far, that is the same way the scientific
community uses that word (or pretty much). But we use
the word “ionic” to refer to particles that are so
small that they are considered to be dissolved into
the water, like a teaspoon of sugar stirred into a
glass of water. Colloids can fall out of suspension
and sink to the bottom (from light, or magnetism, or
freezing), but we do not believe that “ionic”
particles behave in that way. In other words,
suspensions can settle out, but solutions cannot.

We use these arbitrary definitions because science
does not give us words or terms that differentiate
between particles in suspension and particles in
solution, except to say “particles in suspension and
particles in solution”.

We differentiate between “colloidal/EIS” silver and
every other form of silver because we believe that is
the difference between safe and unsafe silver. In
fact, the properties of silver and its affects upon
the human body change considerably as the size
decreases, and as it becomes pure (not joined to other
substances). Dr. Robert Demling is the first I have
seen who identifies these property changes:

http://www.cesil.com/leaderforchemist/articoli/inglese/7demlinging/7demlingi
ng.htm

“Silver has been used for centuries to prevent and
treat a variety of diseases, most notably infections.
It has been well documented that silver coins were
used in ancient Greece and Rome as a disinfectant for
the storage of water and other liquids. (1,2) More
recently, NASA still uses silver to maintain water
purity on the space shuttle. Silver has extremely
potent antimicrobial properties, as only one part per
100 million of elemental silver is an effective
antimicrobial in a solution. Free silver ions, or
radicals, are known to be the active antimicrobial
agent. In order to achieve a bactericidal effect,
silver ions must be available in solution at the
bacterial surface. Efficacy depends on the aqueous
concentration of these ions. Silver ions appear to
kill micro-organisms instantly by blocking the
respiratory enzyme system (energy production), as well
as altering microbe DNA and the cell wall, while
having no toxic effect on human cells in vivo.

“Silver in solution has been used as an antimicrobial
for wound management for nearly a century. However,
crystalline silver is quite insoluble in water and in
dilute acids making the available silver cation
concentration inadequate for use as an antimicrobial
on a wound surface. Beginning in the 1920’s, a small
electrical charge was passed thru water and silver
crystals in order to obtain an effective silver
(electro-colloidal) ion solution to be used topically
on wounds. The charged silver solutions
(electro-colloidal) were approved in the 1920’s by the
FDA for use as an antibacterial agent. (3) Some wound
centers still use these solutions although silver ions
in solution are quite unstable. In addition to its
recognized antibacterial properties, beginning with
the electro-colloidal elemental form, silver solutions
have been reported to improve the healing of “indolent
wounds” and to “regenerate damaged tissue”. The
description of decreased rubor in wounds also reflects
an anti-inflammatory property of silver.

“More recent information has provided at least a
hypotheses as to the mechanism of silver’s pro-healing
and anti-inflammatory effects. Initial literature
reports on the use of pure silver, mainly in the
electro-colloidal form, occurred prior to the 1940’s
when pure silver was still being used. After 1940 a
host of systemic antibiotics became prevalent,
decreasing the use of silver except as a topical
agent. During this transition, silver was complexed as
a salt (e.g. silver nitrate and silver sulfadiazine)
or other compound (e.g. silver protein) to increase
the available silver ion concentration. These silver
complexes remain a popular topical antimicrobial agent
for the care of wounds. Silver itself is considered to
be non-toxic to human cells in vivo. (4) The only
reported complication is the cosmetic abnormality
argyria caused by precipitation of silver salts in the
skin and leading to a blue-gray color. (2)

“The property of matter depends on size and many of
the chemical and physical characteristics change
significantly when matter is reduced in size.11,12
Nanotechnology is a general term that refers to a
relatively new frontier of scientific endeavor. The
prefix “nano” signifies one-billionth. Therefore, a
nanometer is one-billionth of a meter, a nanogram is
one-billionth of a gram. Ten hydrogen atoms placed
side by side measures one nanometer in length. Silver
crystals sputtered under normal vapor deposit
conditions result in tightly adherent crystals of
100-900nm in diameter. Decreasing crystal volume by
nanotechnology markedly increases the exposed surface
area of the crystal, which increases the available
surface for chemical reactions to take place over a
shorter time period. Decreasing the particle size will
also, in general, change the physical/chemical
properties of the material. Examples of changed
properties resulting from nano-sized metals, include
increased superconductivity and increased optical and
electrical properties. Nanosizing can also lead to a
more economical utilization of expensive materials -
meaning that can use less material because the
reactions are more efficient. Although not yet
specifically defined, it is clear that some of the
properties of silver in a nanocrystal are quite
different than the typical crystal. A large portion of
the silver is available as grain or interphase
boundaries, considered by some to be a new form of
matter.”

Although Dr. Demling is discussing a more specific
type of “CS” than we produce (I am not acquainted with
his production methods, although he does mention
“Silver crystals sputtered”), he is establishing the
concepts of differing forms and sizes of silver
particles behaving in different ways. The above quotes
are only a part of his commentary. The key dynamic
here is that the smaller the particles of silver, the
more the laws governing the behavior of those
particles change. He affirms that safety increases, as
well as efficacy, as the particles decrease in size.
This is part of the reason that CS/EIS should be
crystal clear in color, as this indicates vary small
particle size.

Although we are not making “nanotechnology” CS, we are
making something far different, and far safer, than
the clumsy, chemicalized substances that doctors have
utilized in the past, and by which they try to measure
the safety/effectiveness of the CS/EIS that we make.
But, as Dr. Demling commented, this is "considered by
some to be a new form of matter", and we need a new
vocabulary to describe it.

The similarity between silver nitrate, silver
arsphemamine and other insoluble silver salts is about
like the similarity between a novel and the movie.
They both have the same title, but that’s about it.

Terry Chamberlin

http://mail.yahoo.com