On Saturday November 19 2005 5:14 pm, Terry Chamberlin wrote:
<SNIP>

> If we agreed to utilize the accepted definition of
> Nanosilver being particles smaller than a certain size
> (such as that discussed by Drs. Demling and Burrel),
> we can also share our information with other
> professionals without having to define certain words
> our way, which damages our credibility. As it
> presently stands, we have used *ionic* to mean
> particles of a certain very small size, which is not
> correct, and would not be understood by a doctor or
> scientist. Since *nano* refers to one-billionth, it
> cannot mean colloidal.
<SNIP>
> Terry Chamberlin

Hi again Terry and all.

I'm glad to see this topic genuinely being discussed. Thank you for your input.

About the size of an ion: Unfortunately all that information was on my old
computer which had a hard drive crash so I am not able to provide a link to the
source at this time but I'll keep looking. However that specific number is of
relatively little importance. The fact remains that an ion of silver in our
context is one atom of silver minus one electron. And that means that it is one
size and doesn't vary. But even that is of relatively lesser importance.
However for the sake of discussion, below are a couple of definitions of silver
ions I found last night on the web.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
from http://www.billmackstuff.com/silver-information.html
Basically, there are two silver components in colloidal silver products
which give them their properties, silver particles and silver ions.
Silver ions are silver atoms which have an electron missing in the
outer shell. They are the smallest possible form of silver, about .28
nanometers. Silver particles are metallic silver consisting of clusters
of silver atoms. They can range in size from less than a nanometer up
to 1000 nanometers (1 micron).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
frpm http://www.health2us.com/ions.htm
In the case of colloidal silver, it is solid particles (of silver) in a
liquid (water). It is not in fact a suspension, as the definition of a
suspension is particles larger then 1 micron (1,000 nanometers) while
colloidal particles are defined as 1 nm to 1,000 nm and a solution
(ions) is defined as particles less then 1 nm in diameter. An ion or
atom of silver is about 1/4 nm diameter! One nm being a billionth of a
meter or 1/1,000th of a micron (millionth of a meter)!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
The real issue is defining what it is we make and use; being consistent with
that definition/description/name; and communicating it to others.
As you can see from at the definitions above an ion of silver is, according to
one site, .28 nanometers, and the other, 1/4 nanometer. This appears to
indicate "particles" considerably smaller than a nono-meter. Further the prefix
 nano indicates 1 billionth thus a nanometer is one billionth of a meter. My
math isn't good enough to be able to calculate and express what that number
would be or if it puts it into yet another category, perhaps sub-nanometer.

Once again, however, to me, this still misses the important point here, and,
for me at least, that is that we are talking about: medicinal silver and not
physics in general or even physics at all beyond the very most sophisticated of
discussions on the topic. So let's look at some of the other issues involved.

One important one for me is that there is at least one company who uses some
form of "Nanosilver" as a brand name. The one I found this morning is actually
called "Nano-Silver". There are a number of other sites using some form of
nanosilver to describe products ranging from silver citrate to colloidal silver
to electrically isolated silver. So once again, it seems that we are inviting
ambiguity with the use of nanosilver.

Even you said that "I make EIS that is approximately 90-95% nanosilver and
5-10% colloidal." So which is a more accurate and easy to understand
name/descriptor for what you are making? I say it is EIS as it includes both
colloidal and what you are calling "nanosilver" in its definition. It also
doesn't try to indicate an unproven quantity in a product made by someone else.

As for particles: an ion of silver goes into solution in the distilled water
rather than being suspended as a particle. This is something which is repeated
over and over on numerous sites on the subject. So where is the particle of
silver in an ionic silver solution?

Actually I think the above is again relatively nit picking and obfuscating the
issue.
EIS does not claim the product to be either ionic or colloidal. Rather it
indicates a method of extracting silver into a liquid, preferably distilled
water. Trying to specify the qualities of a product made by someone else oyer
which you have no control is, I think, asking for dissention and creating
misunderstandings.

As for calling the end product ionic silver: This *may* be somewhat misleading
or confusing to some because of the reasons you have pointed out. That is, that
there is more than one meaning for the terms ion and ionic. That doesn't mean
that the "one atom minus one electron" meaning for an ion is invalid. It simply
means that there other equally valid meanings for the term. In addition the
products we virtually all make are a combination of ionic silver is solution
and colloidal silver particles in suspension.

I think the fact that there can be ions of compounds such as silver citrate or
silver chloride is a non issue and clouds the real issue with diverting
arguments. And how is the term "nanosilver" going to obviate that?

To my mind the term "nanosilver" is equally ambiguous. It may or may not be
ionic, it may or may not be a silver compound, etc.

As for the subject of argyria, you say, "So silver-nitrate is ionic, yet it
causes argyria."

Silver nitrate is, or at least may also be, nanosilver-nitrate.

You also say, "Colloidal silver CAN produce argyria, as  demonstrated by Stan
Jacobs." Actually Stan Jacobs was not taking genuine colloidal silver he was
taking a home made, electrically isolated silver product, which, because it was
improperly made contained silver compounds, which caused the argyria.  From my
understanding of the term "nanosilver" based purely on your definition of
nanosilver here. The substance Stan Jacobs ingested would be included in that
category -nanosilver.

You also said, "When I am asked about argyria by new initiates, I
discuss the difference between large and small particles, between colloidal
silver and nanosilver."

When I'm asked a similar question I point out, that there has never been a
documented case of argyria resulting from properly made EIS. The issue is far
broader and more complex than simply whether or not the product is colloidal or
"nanosilver". A poorly made home-made product may well cause argyria. However
we must instruct on the proper methods and assume that the people are using the
proper methods. No matter what we call it, if it is poorly made there is the
very real possibility of causing argyria.

So, I for one, am not convinced by your argument for the use of the term
"nanosilver" at this point. I still much prefer the term EIS (electrically
isolated silver). However I may yet be convinced. I'm looking forward to input
from others.
--
LTR
Registered Linux user #280295