Marshal,

Thanks for the link. Confirms there's not a really good iron chelator
known yet.

Carol Ann,

Totally independent of hemochromatosis, I've read that most males and
post menopausal women will tend to accumulate unhealthly levels of iron
in their tissues because of the indiscriminate use of iron supplements
in wheat flour and other foodstuffs in our conventional diets, and the
fact that our bodies have virtually no mechanism for eliminating iron
except bleeding.

Blood ferritin levels are an indirect measure of the total burden of
stored iron in our tissues. Back when I made my first efforts at carb
restriction, about 2001-2, I also began a program of regular blood
donations. I brought my measured ferritin levels down from almost 4
times what is considered healthy to about twice "normal" over a period
of half a year or so, based on my last blood tests from that period.

It is the stored iron that becomes free radicals when tissues are
traumatized, that does the greater part of the damage in heart attacks,
for example. There are also supposed to be a laundry list of other
symptoms of iron overload, which I haven't looked into closely.

I may be misinformed, but as far as I know iron overload is not limited
to people with hemochromatosis.

Be well,

Mike D.