"Jonathan B. Britten" <jbrit...@cc.nakamura-u.ac.jp> wrote:

  > Experts tell me that even dark glass jugs of distilled water, sold
  > specifically for  scientific experiments, change in  pH  over time
  > due to leaching from the glass itself. Regardless of the  label on
  > the bottle, researchers have to check the pH before experimenting.
  > If the  pH has changed, there must have been  something introduced
  > to the water; what exactly I don't know.

  >JBB

  Hi Jonathan,

  The ph  is next to impossible to measure in ultra pure water  due to
  the low  conductance. You can only measure the  conductance  and say
  the ph  lies  somewhere in a range between two  values.  There  is a
  triangle that  describes this on the following page.  Also, ordinary
  carbon dioxide  makes  dw   slightly   acidic  so  it  will dissolve
  contaminants in  the glass. The way to minimize this is to  use pure
  crystal quartz, which you can buy, but it is very expensive.

  Oddly enough,  there is a species of bacteria that thrives  in ultra
  pure water.  Where they get their nutrients is a  mystery,  but they
  form a film that protects them and are very difficult to remove from
  semiconductor fabrication  equipment.  This can wreak  havoc  on the
  yields.

  This whole  topic is fascinating and can fill many  books.  Just for
  reference, I  will copy this section as it comes up often  enough to
  warrant reading:

  pH-value

  Pure water by definition is slightly acidic and distilled water will
  test out around pH 5.8. The reason is that distilled water dissolves
  carbon dioxide from the air. It dissolves carbon dioxide until it is
  in dynamic  equilibrium  with the atmosphere.  That  means  that the
  amount being  dissolved balances the amount coming out  of solution.
  The total amount in the water is determined by the  concentration in
  the atmosphere.  The dissolved carbon dioxide reacts with  the water
  and finally forms carbonic acid.

  2H2O + CO2 --> H2O + H2CO3 (carbonic acid) --> (H30+)

  (charged acidified water) + (HCO3-) (charged bicarbonate ion)

  Only recently  been  produced  distilled  water  has  a  pH-value of
  approximately 7,  but affected by the presence of carbon  dioxide it
  will reach a slightly acidic pH-value within a couple of hours.

  Additional, it  is  important to mention that the  pH  of ultra-pure
  water is  difficult  to  measure. Not  only  does  high-purity water
  rapidly pick  up contaminants - such as carbon dioxide (CO2)  - that
  affect its  pH, but it also has a low conductivity  that  can affect
  the accuracy  of pH meters. For instance, absorption of  just  a few
  ppm of  CO2  can cause the pH of ultra-pure water  to  drop  to 4.5,
  although the water is still of essentially high quality.

  The most  accurate  estimation  of the  pH  of  ultra-pure  water is
  obtained by measuring its resistance; for a given resistance, the pH
  must lie  between certain limits. For example, if the  resistance is
  10.0 MWcm,  the  pH must lie between 6.6 and  7.6.  The relationship
  between the  resistance and pH of high-purity water is shown  in the
  figure below. [2]

  (mrm: this is the triangle I spoke of)

  http://www.lenntech.com/deionised-demineralised-water.htm

  Regards,