Thanks Julie. I make a cayenne extract with my kombucha
distilled vinegar (2% acetic acid). I use 180,000 HU. It has
a tendency to fall out of suspension and has to be shaken.
Even with the low percentage acetic acid it doe not seem to
attract mold, but long term storage may be a problem.
Tabasco Sauce uses vinegar and vinegar is extremely healthy
for you especially compared to alcohol. I have also made
kombucha mushroom tea using cayenne and comes out really
spicy.

Tabasco is hotter and tastier but it is a different pepper.
Lots of peppers are hotter than cayenne - some over
1,000,000 HU, so IMO, I don't think Tabasco would work. I
seem to know a lot of folks who gobble down really hot
peppers daily and they seem to have the same problems as the
rest of people who don't eat hot peppers so cayenne must
have special attributes otherwise Dr Christopher, Shultz,
and others  would have used even hotter peppers or simply
Tabasco sauce.

One thing I am leery of is the claim that cayenne
scan/should be used in the eyes. I trained police for years
in the use of pepper spray, as a matter of policy (and group
pressure) I had to be pepper sprayed and it did knock me
down with for what I thought was a long recovery time.
Police pepper spray is simply capsicum oil (cayenne pepper)
and water and pressure.  maybe I should practice up for the
coming events.

In your opinion what would be the difference if one used
vinegar instead of alcohol ?

Ed Kasper LAc. Licensed Acupuncturist & Herbalist
Santa Cruz, CA.