Thanks to Dan, Kasper,
    and Everyone of the ideas on Cayenne

 Why is everyone so against a little alcohol?  A little alcohol is good
for you. Cayenne tincture should be made with alcohol. You can make it yourself with 80 proof vodka and cayenne or fresh (hot) peppers.

The Everclear I had in stock was 180 proof ( 85 % ). I had to purchase one more bottle, $ 15.00 per fifth. All they had was 180 proof.

In July a few friends picked all their excess peppers and gave them to me. I placed them in a greenhouse in metal pans for about 10 days. The idea was they would grind or chop better if dry.

I chopped the complete batch. They were still too moist and sticky to grind into a powder or very small particles.

I simply placed this into pint jars and covered with Everclear.
The jars were about 65 to 70 % full so I covered with the Everclear.

A few days later the pepper material had swollen up a bit so I made another pint jar for a total of 4. About then I read something about 50 % alcohol so I added about 2 ounces of distilled water instead of more Everclear.

I also read brew times that ranged from 15 days to 60 days.
More confusion. I also talked to a few people that has made the Tincture and got different data.

I left the jars on the cabinet and did in fact shake them several times per day.

After near 30 days, I did not detect the strength I wanted. At this time, I added 1 heaping TBS of Cayenne Powder to each jar.

At a later date, about 45 days, I still did not detect the strength of the bought Tincture so I added another heaping TBS of Cayenne powder.

The total time is approaching 60 days now.  The strength is getting better.

In the absence of an instrumentation test, I add a specific number of drops to 4 ounces of water and compare the taste and heat to the bought Tincture.

The taste of the tincture I am making is not as strong in flavor as the purchased Tincture, but the heat and bite is getting close.

I am thinking of straining and bottling one pint after 60 days and may leave the other 3 pints another few weeks.

I still feel my alcohol per cent is a bit high even after adding a few ounces of distilled water.

I may have done a few things differently if we had this thread two months ago.

The cost of the Health Food Store Tincture is about $ 120.00 per gallon. The cost of the home brew Tincture is about $ 6.00 per pint, mostly the cost of Everclear.

Any ideas, suggestions, or criticism are welcome.
Next time, I may use all cayenne powder.  It is very reasonably priced.

Wayne

  If
fresh peppers, cut them up and put in blender container, fill empty
space with vodka and blend (just enough vodka to cover).  Put in a jar
and shake up every day for a week or so and then strain.  You can do the
same thing with the ground dried cayenne but you may need to use a
different gage for filling with alcohol (add vodka to cover and go above
the cayenne by one third of the volume for example, I mean add more
vodka).  Make it strong.  Just don't be drinking more than a couple of
droppers full at a time, or more than a shot...  ;-))

One MD (David Williams) is recommending drinking one or two cups of
Irish coffee at the first sign of a heart attack...

Richard Schulze (I think it was) recounts a story of an herbalist
throwing a pinch of cayenne in his own eye at the start of a lecture to
prove that cayenne wouldn't harm the eye.  It didn't.  With this in mind
and some experience using lesser doses of cayenne in an eyewash I
decided to test the theory.  I threw a large pinch of cayenne into my
eye.  I really wished I hadn't for about 20 minutes, it really hurt.
After that the eye was perfectly fine.

Half vinegar and half alcohol is used to make a tincture of lobelia.

Dan